Thread: Decrypting Registry Data in .net

Decrypting Registry Data in .net

Well, I am first time trying to use and encryption and decryption thing in .net. I have several important data and some information which I want protect. I want to ask you how can I decrypt a registry data. Then how can I store a encrypt connection string in the registry. Here what I am first trying to do is to decrypt a registry key that stores a password. I need to know how can I pass a registry into the code. Thanks in advance of any suggestions.

Re: Decrypting Registry Data in .net

Here by using the two classes the first one is CEncrypt and CRegister you can encrypt and decrypt a registry key. The encryption part is useful when you want to store any important information like user names and passwords in the registry. The encrypt is declared in <wincrypt.h> syntax. For example see the code below -
    Code:
    #define _WIN32_WINNT 0x0400
    #include "wincrypt.h"
    Here we will use CryptDeriveKey for the purpose of encryption and decryption. You will need to configure some settings in CEncrypt class before calling the above function. Download the below source code. It will be help to you.

Their many third party tools available on the internet which can decrypt any file for your if you want to save your time by going is advance coding. The one I use is Nirsoft. It is a freeware tool. It decrypts and displays all the list of userassist entries stored in your system. The second one is Cryptocx. It is an open pgp and aes compatible encryption utility dll which specifically designed to use in any development environment.

To store an encrypted connection sting into the registry you will need to follow the listed instructions. Basically the registry is representing one of the possible location to store a database connection strings. But you can also try to secure individual registry key with windows access control lists. Now here the components used to encrypt a registry are connection string, initialization vector and key. You can copy the code - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\TestApplication. The initialization vector and key are required to be stored in the order to allow the connection string to be decrypted. You will have to store the encrypted data in registry and you will need to create a asp.net web application to perform the action.