Thread: How to display powershell script output to XML

How to display powershell script output to XML

I wanted develop an scripts which will run and provide with the output in a readily usable form, and I wanted them to send their results set to Excel or sometimes Word as well as text files if needed. I tried the above project in the VB script but it seems to be little difficult, i have read some blog where i found that this is possible with the powershell script, if yes then how to achieve this.
    please let me know.

Re: How to display powershell script output to XML

Powershell script provide you the ability to import and export the Csv file to the expected format.In PowerShell you also have the ability to send your PowerShell command line script results set to Excel (In a round about way, because it is actually a .Csv file) as well as to an XML file by using the Export Cmdlet. For example if you want to export the results set to a Csv file you would use the Export-Csv Cmdlet and if you want the output sent to an Xml file you would use the Export-CliXml Cmdlet.

Note: you can also use the MS-DOS redirect as in the example here: Get-Process > C:\Processes.Txt.

You could write to the screen and file by using tee-object like this:

$colItems | select-object CSName, Description, FixComments, HotFixID,InstallDate, InstalledBy, InstalledOn, Name, ServicePackInEffect, Status |tee-object outfile.txt

Importing Cmdlet which will allow to import or to read data from an existing Csv or even a text file and it will display the output in the PowerShell console in a table format as Import-Csv or Import-CliXml as in the examples here:

Import-Csv C:\MyFile.Csv
    Import-Csv C:\MyFile.Csv | Sort-Object Name

To export a PowerShell command line script output to a Csv file as opposed to the screen you can issue the following in the PowerShell console: Get-Process | Export-Csv C:\MyFile.Csv.Scripting with Windows PowerShell brings together resources for system administrators who are interested in learning about the Windows PowerShell command line and scripting environment. Once the file is created you can then open it in Excel by simply opening the file which is Comma delimited.

If you want to save the results as an Xml file you would issue the following command: Get-Process | Export-CliXml C:\MyFile.Xml.