Thread: C,C++ error detection tool

C,C++ error detection tool

hie,

After writing any program in C or C++, the general method we all use to do is first compile for the errors, correct them and then run the program. I want to ask is there any tool available that will help us to automatically detect the errors in C and C++ programs ?

any ideas.......

Re: C,C++ error detection tool

Insure++ is a runtime memory analysis and error detection tool for C and C++ that automatically identifies a variety of difficult-to-track programming and memory-access errors, along with potential defects and inefficiencies in memory usage.

Errors such as memory corruption, memory leaks, access outside of array bounds, invalid pointers, and the like often go undetected during normal testing, only to result in application crashes in the field. Insure++ will help you find and eliminate all such defects in your applications to ensure the integrity of their memory usage.

Insure++ Features

• Detection of memory corruption on heap and stack
    • Detection of uninitialized variables, pointers, and objects
    • Detection of memory leaks and other memory allocation/free errors
    • STL checking(available for any Unix users with GCC 3.0 and above) for proper usage of STL containers and related memory errors
    • Compile-time checks for type- and size-related errors
    • Runtime tracing of function calls
    • GUI and command line interface
    • Memory error checking in 3rd party static and dynamic libraries
    • Direct interfaces with Visual Studio debugger

Insure++ is a memory debugger computer program used by software developers in order to detect various errors in programs written in C and C++. It is made by Parasoft, and is functionally similar to other memory debuggers.

Insure++ offers variety of benefits :-

Insure++ finds memory errors before they become runtime problems and also finds common errors during 64 bit porting. It helps to optimize memory usage of applications and reduces development and support costs. It easily integrates with regression test suites in “smoke alarm” mode and provides detailed stack traces of errors to help understand their causes.

Insure++ can automatically find erroneous accesses to freed memory, array bounds violations, freeing unallocated memory and many others....

Insure++ differs from other memory debuggers in its function by inserting its instrumentation at the source code level, which allows it to detect errors that the other tools miss. In particular, Insure++ can detect buffer overflows in automatic arrays, and overflows which involve pointers that accidentally "jump" from one valid memory region to another.

AndreyKarpov Guest

Viva64. A commercial product by ООО "Program Verification Systems" which is a static source code analyzer. The analyzer is intended for detecting errors occurring while porting 32-bit software on 64-bit platforms. Viva64 supports C and C++ languages and is intended for diagnosing Windows applications. Due to support of Windows applications in which LLP64 data model is used Viva64 tool stands out among other static code analyzers most of which focus on LP64 data model used in Unix systems.

VivaMP. A commercial product by OOO "Program Verification Systems" which is a static source code analyzer. The analyzer is intended for detecting errors in parallel programs in which OpenMP technology is used. The analyzer diagnoses the following error classes: errors caused by lack of attention or knowledge of OpenMP directives’ syntax, synchronization errors, race condition errors and also ineffective constructions. VivaMP supports C and C++ languages and is intended for diagnosing Windows applications.
    Last edited by abhishek; 12-05-2009 at 04:12 PM. Reason: Link removed

Looks like a lot of ads...
    Ananias, in Visual C++ I'm using Deleaker. I think it's very useful.

Best regards,
    Joe

Hi, does anyone uses VLD?

Quote Originally Posted by JulsSmile View Post
    Hi, does anyone uses VLD?
    Could you please specify in details what do you mean by VLD? What is the full form of this VLD?

Hi!
    I was doing research for memory leaks in languages ​​such as C and C + + for a long time, so accustomed to abriviature. This means Visual Leak Detetstor.

Quote Originally Posted by JulsSmile View Post
    Hi!
    I was doing research for memory leaks in languages ​​such as C and C + + for a long time, so accustomed to abriviature. This means Visual Leak Detetstor.
    There are some free software of Visual Leak Detector that has been designed to be a memory leak detector for Visual C++ packaged in an easy to use library! Visual C++ provides a function for detecting memory leaks, but its capabilities are minimal at best. This memory leak detector was created as a free alternative to the built-in memory leak detector that was provided with Visual C++.

JAMES_911, You are right!But I'm interested does somebody use this debugger ?

I used it before I started working on Linux.
    I can advise drmemory. This debugger can be useful.

Never heard about it. Yesterday I saw on one exchange two vacancies about the creation debugger for C + +. O_o I wonder why?There are so many!