Thread: Unhandled win32 exception occured in services.exe[1844]

Unhandled win32 exception occured in services.exe[1844]

Hello Friends,

I am in very much trouble,as i am getting this above mentioned problem while opening any program, this makes me really dump, and the worst part is that i don't understand from where do i start solving that problem.

It asks me "Do you want to Debug using the selected debugger?" I get confused and if I selected for "YES" it opens into an Visual Studio 2005. and i again become nook at this point, And if i select "NO" then the pop goes for a while and pop-up again after some time.which makes me very irritating.

And last but not the list is that I have Windows XP SP3 with the Visual studio 2005 installed on it.

Thank for your help.

Re: Unhandled win32 exception occured in services.exe[1844]

This problem is because the absolute path of the shell resides in the registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\shell with a value c:\windows\explorer.exe or c:\winnt\explorer.exe.

Re: Unhandled win32 exception occured in services.exe[1844]

1. Verify that the Registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\shell value is eitherc:\windows\explorer.exe or c:\winnt\explorer.exe.
    2. Right-click Taskbar, and then click Task Manager.
    3. In the Task Manager window, click the Processes tab.
    4. Select Image Name from the list that you want to debug. For example, if you want to debug on a notepad, select Notepad.exe from the list.
    5. Right-click the image that you selected, and then click Debug. You may receive the following warning message:
      "WARNING: Debugging this process may result in loss of data. Are you sure you wish to attach the debugger?"
    6. Click Yes. The error message that is mentioned in the "Symptoms" section of this article is displayed.

To resolve this problem, follow these steps:
    • Change the registry key value to explorer.exe, and then repeat steps 4, 5, and 6 from the "Steps to Reproduce the Behavior" section earlier in this article. Verify that JIT Debugger starts.
    • You can also start JIT Debugger from a Microsoft Visual Studio command-prompt window. To do this:
      1. Locate the Vs7jit.exe file in the C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7Debug folder.
      2. At the command prompt, type vs7jit -p Process ID of the application you want to debug, and then press ENTER to start the debugger.