Thread: What is My SQL ?

What is My SQL ?

MySQL is a relational database management system (RDBMS) which has more than 11 million installations. The program runs as a server providing multi-user access to a number of databases.

MySQL is owned and sponsored by a single for-profit firm, the Swedish company MySQL AB, now a subsidiary of Sun Microsystems, which holds the copyright to most of the codebase. The project's source code is available under terms of the GNU General Public License, as well as under a variety of proprietary agreements.

MySQL is the world's most popular open source database software, with over 100 million copies of its software downloaded or distributed throughout its history. With its superior speed, reliability, and ease of use, MySQL has become the preferred choice for Web, Web 2.0, SaaS, ISV, Telecom companies and forward-thinking corporate IT Managers because it eliminates the major problems associated with downtime, maintenance and administration for modern, online applications.

Many of the world's largest and fastest-growing organizations use MySQL to save time and money powering their high-volume Web sites, critical business systems, and packaged software — including industry leaders such as Yahoo!, Alcatel-Lucent, Google, Nokia, YouTube, Wikipedia, and Booking.com.

Re: What is My SQL ?

My SQL Features

• A broad subset of ANSI SQL 99, as well as extensions
    • Cross-platform support
    • Stored procedures
    • Triggers
    • Cursors
    • Updatable Views
    • True VARCHAR support
    • INFORMATION_SCHEMA
    • Strict mode
    • X/Open XA distributed transaction processing (DTP) support; two phase commit as part of this, using Oracle's InnoDB engine.
    • Independent storage engines (MyISAM for read speed, InnoDB for transactions and referential integrity, MySQL Archive for storing historical data in little space)
    • Transactions with the InnoDB, BDB and Cluster storage engines; savepoints with InnoDB.
    • SSL support
    • Query caching
    • Sub-SELECTs
    • Replication with one master per slave, many slaves per master, no automatic support for multiple masters per slave.
    • Shared-nothing clustering through MySQL Cluster