Thread: Backup for Dell RD1000?

Backup for Dell RD1000?

I am trying to get some solutions about backing up my new SBS 2003 server. I have purchased an External RD1000 cartridge drive from Dell with my server. The drive came with Yosemite backup software. I tried using the backup wizard in SBS but it doesnt thing the RD1000 is a valid backup device, so that doesnt work. Then I just setup Yosemite and it claims to have backed up my system, but the Yosemite site says that you need connector licenses for Exchange, SQLServer, and Sharepoint. I do not have those licenses and cannot get dell to tell me if I really need them. Can anyone give me suggestion on how I can backup my machine, including the exchange, sql, and sharepoint data? Thanks.

Re: Backup for Dell RD1000?

I dont think that you need Connector Licenses. I would ditch the Yosemite software and use the built-in SBS 2003 Backup Wizard. When you will run the backup wizard, then you will get one of the options to backup to local hard disk or network share and there is a browse button there.

There were also few users that have purchased external storage devices as backup targets for their Small Business Server 2003 found that the new drive/device is not an option as a target for the Small Business Server 2003 Backup Configuration Wizard. The SBS Backup Configuration Wizard will only expose physical drives/tape devices as valid targets for a backup, even though the external storage device has a drive letter assigned in My Computer. To solve this issue, follow the steps given here - http://blogs.technet.com/b/sbs/archi...29/452501.aspx

The version of software that comes with the RD 1000 is limited to backup only the server. It does support VSS and it will backup the Exchange & SQL application but it will not backup the databases within these applications. You will need an application agent to get this done. If you call Dell back, ask them for the SBS Suite. It has a SQL & Exchange agent included in the bundle, usually this is only to be sold with hardware and since you recently purchased you are still elegible. If the Dell Rep has questions, have them contact their Yosemite Rep.