Thread: After changing Share permissions, Even admin is access denied to format

After changing Share permissions, Even admin is access denied to f

Recently i change share permissions on a folder in Windows Small Bus Server. However, since then even administrator are not able to access those files. Everyone is getting "Access denied" error message. I want to know if there is anything i can do about it???

Re: After changing Share permissions, Even admin is access denied to f

Just right click on the folder, select properties, click on "Advanced option" and click on the ownership. After that you can go back and add users on the security tab. It should give full control on the share. Just give it a try and let me know if you find my suggestion helpful.

I have tried performing what you have mention above but i am still not able to open the files as administrator. It seems as if changing the owner permission has not made any difference in my case. Other than that, i have found that i am not able to open open any files directly on the server as well. I get "Access denied" error for them as well. Other folders that are shared can be opened fine, let me know if there is anything that i can try out. I need to fix it as soon as possible, help regrading this will be highly appreciated, thanks in advance.

My apologies for posting in a thread that's over a year old, but I hope this information will be useful to some future searcher who has the same issue that I had. Also, sorry if I repeat any information already posted above, or for stating anything obvious. This worked for me, and your mileage may vary.

Background: We had an incident with writing deny permissions for the Everyone group to modify files. This was propagated to a large folder hierarchy and prevented even admins from changing the permissions back.

Solution: We claimed ownership on all the affected objects by going to the root "good" folder's Properties > Security tab > Advanced button > Owner tab > then take ownership and check the box marked "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects". After a few confirmation clicks, admins should now have control over the affected folders again.

With our abilities to change permissions restored on affected objects, admins can propagate inheritable permissions from the root "good" folder to all its children: Properties > Security tab > Advanced button > Permission tab. Confirm that the permissions and inherit settings are as desired. Check the box marked "Replace permission entries on all child objects with entries shown here that apply to child objects". Click through the confirmations. If you had separate ACLs on any of the child objects, you may wish to take a moment to reconsider this step.