Thread: Convert Local to Roaming Profiles

Can anyone tell me how to change some Local Windows XP SBS 2003 Domain Profiles from their original Local Status to Roaming because of a seeming Musical computer game being played. When I get inside the workstation and the log in as my Administrative User account, a few of the local profiles dont give me the option to copy to or even delete. Those options are not there but only available for a few profiles. So, does any have any solution for this issue? Thanks

Re: Convert Local to Roaming Profiles

When you usually set up a roaming profile path for the users in their ADUC properties, it should change to"roaming" by default when they log in. That said, check the event logs, and I'd also move out any data (My Documents, Desktop) somewhere else for safekeeping. Use folder redirection via custom group policy linked to MyBusiness, for My Documents, Desktop, and Application Data.

Check the below bilerplate on roaming profile setup.
    1. First of all set up a share on the server. For example - d:\profiles, shared as profiles$ to make it hidden from browsing. Make sure this share is *not* set to allow offline files/caching! (that's on by default - disable it)
    2. After that make sure the share permissions on profiles$ indicate everyone=full control. Set the NTFS security to administrators, system, and users=full control.
    3. Npw, in the users' ADUC properties, specify \\server\profiles$\%username% in the profiles field
    4. After that you have each user log into the domain once - if this is an existing user with a profile you wish to keep, have them log in at their usual workstationand log out. The profile is now roaming.
    5. If you want the administrators group to automatically have permissions to the profiles folders, you'll need to make the appropriate change in group policy. Look in computer configuration/administrative templates/system/user profiles - there's an option to add administrators group to the roaming profiles permissions. Do this *before* the users' roaming profile folders are created - it isn't retroactive.

Notes: Ensure users understand that they should not log into multiple computers at the same time when they have roaming profiles (unless you make the profiles mandatory by renaming ntuser.dat to ntuser.man so they can't change them, which has major disadvantages),. Explain that the 'last one out wins' when it comes to uploading the final, changed copy of the profile. If you want to restrict multiple simultaneous network logins, look at LimitLogon.

Keep your profiles TINY. Via group policy, you should be redirecting My Documents (at the very least) - to a subfolder of the user's home directory or user folder. Also consider redirecting Desktop & Application Data
    similarly..... so the user will end up with:
    \\server\users\%username%\My Documents,
    \\server\users\%username%\Desktop,
    \\server\users\%username%\Application Data.

[Alternatively, just manually re-target My Documents to \\server\users\%username% (this is not optimal, however!)]

You should use folder redirection even without roaming profiles, but it's especially critical if you *are* using them.

If you aren't going to also redirect the desktop using policies, tell users that they are not to store any files on the desktop or you will beat them with a stick. Big profile=slow login/logout, and possible profile corruption.

Note that user profiles are not compatible between different OS versions, even between W2k/XP. Keep all your computers. Keep your workstations as identical as possible - meaning, OS version is the same, SP level is the same, app load is (as much as possible) the same.

If you also have Terminal Services users, make sure you set up a different TS profile path for them in their ADUC properties - e.g., \\server\tsprofiles$\%username%

Do not let people store any data locally - all data belongs on the server.

The User Profile Hive Cleanup Utility should be running on all your computers. You can download it here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en