Thread: Network is terribly slow after SBS 2003 server was installed

Network is terribly slow after SBS 2003 server was installed

I am facing issue with Windows 2003 SBS. It is not working fine. It is a nice system which is configured recently. But it looks after SBS 2003 installation the network is working terrifically slow. I am not able to send receive emails. While my server is having a a Quad Core processor with 4GB RAM. There are two 750GB hard drive connected. I had not expected such a poor performance after fresh installation. What can be issue behind it. I do think I had missed any settings.

Re: Network is terribly slow after SBS 2003 server was installed

Where you are facing the exact issue. Is it with the system or with the network. If you are facing problem with the network then the issue would be different. The problem can related to outdated drivers of NIC. Also your lan network is not able to get maximum speed. There are many reasons behind the same. Like antivirus application who scans the data which reduce the performance, old hardware, etc. What is your exact issue. Explain the same in more detail.

Sorry for that. Actually first when I installed Server it was working fine. I updated windows and installed some software which includes a antivirus also. I had connected the server on the network where it is accessed by 30 workstation. Now the users are reporting slow transfer speed. The application that they are running is configured to pull and save data in the server hard drive. It freezes a lot. I am not able to get the correct reason behind the problem.

Update the nic drivers. Are you using a separate NIC card or onboard connector. If you are using the onboard nic then try to buy a separate high speed nic card and add that in your server. It looks the existing one is not enough powerful to provide good data transfer speed. There are some set of network analyzer tool that you can find easily on web and use them to find out the problem with your server.

I am providing the reference of problem that I had faced on SBS after fresh installation. The setup was similar. My server also has a 750GB storage and it looks enough for data. But the data transfer was not so good. The speed was poor. Later on I replaced the hard drive and things went fine. The problem lies with the drive. It was not giving optimum performance which screwed the entire server output. You can try to verify your hardware one by one and see where the actual issue lies.

Can be a dns issue. What can you see in IPCONFIG /ALL. Type this in cmd and hit enter. What you find in that. Are you able to get all the settings proper. Change your DNS and then check again. The problem can be with the nic only. It is good to get some network analyzer software and check out the performance. Updating drivers can help, but not much. There will be limitation in the same.

Go in Event log. You can find more information there. The Event log will give you a full description on the problem that you are facing. If there is any error just post the complete detail here and you would be able to get a alternative solution. It is always necessary that you use a separate nic card for server because data transfer differ from onboard nic to separate card. It is more better and has more transfer speed.

Check the below link. It will give you help on the problem that you are facing. I was getting the same issue and while searching on web I found the KB article. As per the article the problem basically appear due to TDI driver. You need to upgrade that or sometime it is not installed. Some application uses TDI and on that only it is capable of giving you a better output.

Your network is slow in Windows SBS 2011 Standard

From which workstation you are facing the issue. I had seen many people complain about slow performance but later on when I physically check the network I found that the workstation lies far away from the server. The more the distance the slower will be transfer speed. Also changing the cables and connectivity port can boost the output. So you will need to take advice from some expert on this issue. You can try running windows update. Hope you can get some help from that.

I changed my switch and the problem was resolved. We had configured a new server with Quad core processor and later on due to that the system does not offer us a good speed. To copy a 30MB file from the network it took around 30 minutes. It was quiet annoying and somehow we are not able to trace the issue. But later on the network guy replace the switch that provide connection to 20 pc and the speed was improved.