Thread: Installing SBS 2003 R2 on a system with Quad-Core processor and 4 GB RAM

Installing SBS 2003 R2 on a system with Quad-Core processor and 4 GB RAM

After checking out the specification of SBS 2003 I found that it supports only a Dual Core CPU, and around 4GB RAM. Above that it will not work. I am not able to figure out if I install that on a Quad Core cpu will it work or not. I have a system that has Quad Core Intel Xeon E5405 processor. I had not tried, but willing to test it. If the OS is not able to utilize all the 4 cores then it will be a waste of time. What are your recommendation on this. Is it better to install the same on a high end system or should I stick with the current dual core system.

I am providing a link of nice blog that has information on using SBS 2003 on multi-core system. I am not really sure that it works or not, but you can check out that below. You can still use it by limiting the core's for SBS. There will be a bit boost in performance, but as per the architecture it is not quiet possible to keep all the 4 core active. Just check out the blogs with instruction provided on the same that gives you more detail about using SBS on multi-core system.

Multi-processor support in Microsoft Windows Small Business Server 2003

re: Installing SBS 2003 R2 on a system with Quad-Core processor and 4 GB RAM

It is limited to 4GB ram. Multicore cannot help much on it. You can simply keep it active on the system that you have right now. I think you will be wasting time, but still if you want you can test that out. The only benefit of multi core processor is that when your system is busy it uses the other parked core and it offer more help to different applications. That is the only way it is going to work.