Thread: Group Policy My Documents Redirection Problem

Group Policy My Documents Redirection Problem

I have been trying to redirect My Documents to \\server\share\user\ but it is not getting redirected to all users. The policy is already applied and some users have "username's documents" in their share folder which redirects them to their.On the other hand some users are having "My Documents" folder but then for some reason all My Document are residing on their local computer. I don't know why cases are different for some users even when they are under the same policy, hope someone over here will be able to clear out things.

Re: Group Policy My Documents Redirection Problem

Have you disabled the "grant user exclusive rights" option ? Have you ran gpupdate /force for updating the policies ? Have you checked out rsop.msc for tracking he problem user might be facing. If you haven't, then go through all these things and let me know the result you get. In case you have tried all these things then just go through event log of your machine in your next post so that i can have better idea of the issue you are going through, best of luck.

Re: Group Policy My Documents Redirection Problem

I have disabled the "grant user exclusive rights" option and i have run gpupdate /force command for updating the policies but nu luck. I have gone through the event log of my machine and below is what i see there.

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: Folder Redirection
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 112
    Date: 1/29/2008
    Time: 9:05:51 AM
    User: ###
    Computer: ###
    Description:
    Failed to perform redirection of folder My Documents. The files for the redirected folder could not be moved to the new location. The folder is configured to be redirected to <\\server\share\%USERNAME%\My Documents>. Files were being moved from <C:\Documents and Settings \<USER>\My Documents> to <\\server\share\<USER>\My Documents>. The following error occurred while copying <C:\Documents and Settings \jwolbers\My Documents\desktop.ini> to <\\server\share\<USER>\My
    Documents\desktop.ini>: The security descriptor structure is invalid.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

You will have to move user's My Documents manually in to another folder and make sure that they have permissions for the destination folder as well. Once you are dine with the changes you can try redirecting My Documents to \\server\share\user\ for all users, hope that helps.