Thread: Conflict Message dialog box in Outlook

Conflict Message dialog box in Outlook

I’m running SBS 2003 Premium Edition and have few Windows XP Pro client workstations connected with. All clients are using Outlook 2003 connect with domain. Now the problem is a user is getting "Conflict Message" dialog box several times in a day. The actual error message is as follows: "Conflicting edits have been made to the same item".

As troubleshooting I renamed his OST file forcing a resync with the Exchange Server but that dint helped in any way. Also tried getting some help from Microsoft sites and Google but dint found anything. So request you guys to please help me out with this error message.

Re: Conflict Message dialog box in Outlook

As far as I know the Conflict Edit error appears when two more people try editing the same item, also when the same item is getting edited on two different PC. Can you tell me if the mailbox of the user getting this error is also access from any other PC?

If yes then tell him not to do the same. And if NO then probably the cause of the problem will be Word as the e-mail editor. Just try turning that off and see if the error appears again.

Re: Conflict Message dialog box in Outlook

Thanks for your help JUSTICE. I think that client access the mailbox only from one PC and there is no other user as well. However he does use OWA but sometimes only, only offsite/remotely. And as you said about Word editor, I’ll surely try it out when I reach office today. Will let you know the results.

RE: Conflict Message dialog box in Outlook

Hello Kaysel, just try out these steps and see if the problem persists:
    • First of all make sure you apply Office 2003 SP2 on the client workstation.
    • As the problem can also be related to Read Receipt, hence try turning off the same.
    • Disable Outlook cache mode
    • Uninstall any antivirus software on the client.

RE: Conflict Message dialog box in Outlook

Appreciate all your helps. Finally I managed to fix the problem by renaming his OST file which forced the creation of a new one. After doing this so far he dint received that error again. However, I’ll see it for 2 more days, hope it wont appear again.

By the way thank you all.