Thread: Domain users cannot print

Domain users cannot print

Hello, I am having a SBS 2003 Sp2 Premium Server. I have added two HP Color LJ 2600n printers to my SBS network on which Domain Admins are able to print. Actually Admins are able to print using all printers but users are only able to print with only first 2 and not with the recently added printers.

There is no error generated in event viewer on TS or SBS. Even the Print jobs join the queue and says that they are printing but they get failed to print until the Admin gets on SBS (print-server, here, really) and cycles the spooler
    service. Once done, prints get successful. This happens every time and we have no idea what is going on.

Any help please?

Most probably to me it appears like permission problems. You said users are not able to access the recently added printers. Can you just check if the permission is ok for these printers? I would like to know under which account the spooler is running? As a troubleshooting you can try adding the domain users to the printer operator group and see if that fixes the issue.

Same problem

I do have exactly the same problem. Only domain admins can print, but no users. I have tried to look on the Internet but have found no answers.

Re: Domain users cannot print

Hi all !

Since I couldn't find any solution to this problem, and now I have it too on our network, I'm bringing this thread back...

Windows Server 2003 SP2 - fully updated

We have several printers installed on this server, shared over the network.

Since a few days, we're encountering problems with the HP1022N printers. Same problem happens here, Domain Admins are able to print at will on these printers, Domain Users aren't. Print jobs appear in the queue, status says "printing", you can't delete the print job anymore once a user tried, when you restart the print spooler, jobs are printed. This happened very suddenly, no changes were made on our server... before I started to troubleshoot this problem, users were generating an error in the event viewer each time they tried to print on one of those printers : Event code 6161. Now there's no error anymore generated in the event viewer.

Uninstalled the driver completely, then reinstalled it, tried all drivers I could find for the HP1022N, granted full permissions to Domain Users and even to Everyone on the printer, didn't help...

As I said, though I found several threads about this problem, none of them includes a solution or even an idea that didn't cross my mind already...

Sooww... Anybody ?

Thanks in advance !

Thanks !!!

Either this wasn't just a guess, or you are a printer psychic ! Been searching for days and just had to uncheck one option, tsssss...

Thanks again !

I had the same problem (twice actually, but was able to solve it by following the instructions of a thread plus another thing.
    Basic Gist:

(assuming the computer with the printer attached is registered in the domain and you can print from locally from that computer, and the printer is added to the active directory.)

1. Make sure on the local computer that the permissions are correct for the printer, and also the spool directory (windows/system32/spool). For me, I'd have thought that the permissions would include domain users, etc since the computer was in the domain, but they were there. So i added them, and then made sure all the files in the underlying directories were the same permission.

2. After saving the permissions, I was able to add the printer for more user from the active directory (domain user, not domain admin). But then for some reason I couldn't add more. (ARG!)

3. After playing with it more, I tried restarting the print spooler service on the local machine (run-->services.msc-->print Spooler (restart)).

4. After that I was able to add all the other users.

I suppose that after changing the permissions, i could have restarted the machine and that would have worked too. Since I haven't had this permission problem occur in all my implementations, I'm guessing that the way I added the computer to the domain didn't do everything it was supposed to (I think i just went to My Computer (properties), and joined the domain there... but not sure).

Anyhoo, after that, i've had no problem accessing the printer. Good luck all!