Thread: Need external hard drive, Windows Server 2003 compatible

Need external hard drive, Windows Server 2003 compatible

I’m running a Windows Server 2003 and looking for Server compatible external hard drive. I tried searching it myself and found some with Western Digital. They look pretty affordable and good but I doubt if they are compatible with Server 2003. That is the main factor.

So can anyone please suggest one compatible with my server, maximum 500 GB external HDD? Thanks in advance.

If those Western Digital hard drive are USB 2.0 and the drive can be formatted to NTFS then you can go with anyone of them. They wont be creating compatibility issues.

By the way, what exactly are you going to use it for? I mean any special purpose like backup or something? If yes, yet no problem because brands like Seagate, Western Digital, etc are good hard drive manufactures. Choose the best you like but just ensure you get atleast 5 year warranty. Unfortunately you wont get this with any cheap/low quality units.

Also if you are planning this for backup purpose then you should buy atleast 2 HDDs.

Re: Need external hard drive, Windows Server 2003 compatible

Thanks for the help friend. Finally I decided to with the 500GB version of Seagate eSATA st3500601xs. Here is the
    . Can you just check if it is good for me?

do you take the drives home with you? whats the best way to do a backup that you can take home with you? i hate the tape drives.

We backup our 8 SBS servers to USB drive. One takes about an hour, the one takes 12 hours. But they all work reliably.

Hello, I just got my Seagate Expansion External Drive. I have no problem to install and backup the files. They didn't pop up any error messages as well. However, I tried to set up a schedule jobs backing up the files daily. Eventually, I didn't see anything from schedule jobs. Do you know what happen? I don't think the Windows compatiblity error because I can backup files by using Windows Server 2003. The only problem I just didn't see the schedule jobs daily of the files.

Quote Originally Posted by andylonyc View Post
    Hello, I just got my Seagate Expansion External Drive. I have no problem to install and backup the files. They didn't pop up any error messages as well. However, I tried to set up a schedule jobs backing up the files daily. Eventually, I didn't see anything from schedule jobs. Do you know what happen? I don't think the Windows compatiblity error because I can backup files by using Windows Server 2003. The only problem I just didn't see the schedule jobs daily of the files.
    I think that you have to use the "Run As:" option and the Administrator Account/Password to envoke the Actual NTBackup Scheduled Task from the Scheduler? If you use the Scheduler to envoke a Task and if you don't specifiy an account to "Run As:" the process that is envoked will then inherit the rights from the credentials of the currently logged in user.

There is no tab such as "Run As." However, there are tabs to inform me such as "Set Schedule," "Next," and "OK." Other than that, I couldn't select anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by andylonyc View Post
    There is no tab such as "Run As." However, there are tabs to inform me such as "Set Schedule," "Next," and "OK." Other than that, I couldn't select anything else.
    Well, one of my friend does not uses the Seagate backup software to backup. Instead, he keeps a private share mounted to the OS and uses backup software included in his internet security suite (Norton) to run scheduled backups to the mounted drive. You can also try the same and see the output.