Thread: Error 720 connecting to server via VPN

Error 720 connecting to server via VPN

I need some help with the SBS 2003 R2 Server. It is connected to my workstation on lan. There are two nic in the server. There are set of different windows xp system that looks to be working good. It looks that there is some issue with the server when I am trying work on VPN. It s not at all working well. I had tried to connect to the VPN remotely but somehow it fails to work. I am getting a set of errors which are spoiling my works. Can anyone guide me to deal with the problem.

It looks some kind of connectivity is causing that error. Are you on a wifi network. Is there a firewall turned on the backside. That can be the cause of problem. I got the error when I tried to connect to the server on a wifi network and it was protected behind the firewall. It happens a number of time when you try to forward the server address and somehow it fails to work. It is better if you reconfigure all the settings from scratch. It will deliver you more better support.

Try to port forward and then check back. A number of time firewall blocks all the incoming connectivity. Somehow even if you disable your antivirus settings the router firewall settings are causing the same kind of issue. So it is better if you forward a port so that the security applications are capable of understanding not to block the port. I am using a netgear around and forwarded the ports. Things are working well now.

The default port configured for vpn connectivity is 47. That is quiet more than enough. It offers you a direct TCP or UDP forwarding so that you can simply connect to a vpn network from wherever you want. You have to create rules so that the security is not compromised on the same hand. I am also using the same Netgear router and has forwarded a port for connectivity from outside only. VPN gives you a encrypted solution to create a tunnel to access the server and modify the settings. So that is a kind of safe settings.

I do not think the problem lies with router. What for those who are not a router and directly connected to the internet. It must be more helpful if you can offer a documentation link on the same. Once the connection is established there is nothing much to do. One place I had found a user was advising to update the router firmware as one of the best way to deal with the issue. I am doubtful about the same. Sometime the firewall drops the icmp packet which can led to frequent disconnection.

According to me PPTP to firewall will be working well. It is one of the best way to modify the settings and create a single account which will be only allowed to connect through vpn. One thing you can do is add the vpn connection under the exception list of Windows Firewall or any other firewall which is added in the system. Updating the router firmware is one of the best way to fix a number of problem. While port forwarding just allow you a direct connection with the router.

Re: Error 720 connecting to server via VPN

I am dealing with that problem from long time. I had gained quiet experience in troubleshooting the problem. First I use to create a vpn connection which drops the error after a few weeks of usage. Port forwarding is a good option but somehow it increases the risk. Different type of people tries to work with different settings. But what matters the most is you lie under maximum security. If you are aware about port forwarding and firewall rules then only go for any changes or else you can leave some bugs in the settings.

The error that you are talking about is a PPTP VPN error. You can trying to create a PPTP connection which is failing and that results in the following error. One of the best way to troubleshoot this problem is configuring your devices on static ip. Do not leave them on dynamic configuration or else that would generate more errors. When your system has some common settings which are only exposed to you then you go with a constant connectivity.

I am going to give you exact steps in dealing with the problem. You have to re-setup everything. I am doing this on Windows and sure that this will also help you to dealing with number of different problem. To avoid the error you will need to assign a range of ip address to the vpn server. For that go in Network and Sharing Center > Change Adapter Settings. In that you can find a option Incoming Connection. Look for Networking ad then click on TCP/IPv4. Add a IP address range there. You can find Incoming IP Properties that will give you the option to offer the range. Just add the same and then check back.

RE: Error 720 connecting to server via VPN

I am working on Dell system which has Norton installed on it. I am also facing the same issue. The error code is same as 721. It looks that the connection is being dropped due to some issue. I was working on remote connectivity but somehow it was terminated. So later on I found that the system failed due to the antivirus. When I disable that everything works well, but when that is active there is a serious problem with connectivity.