Thread: Cannot connect to WMI provider

Cannot connect to WMI provider

I want to install SQL Server 2005 on my Windows 2003 for Small Business Server 2003 but I am continuously getting error messages relating to WMI that says "Cannot connect to WMI provider. You do not have permission or the server is unreachable. Note that you can only manage SQL server 2005 servers with SQL Server Configuration Manager. Initialization failure [0x80041014]". I already have SQL Server partly installed but I want to reinstall with all the options available. Thanks for any information.

Re: Cannot connect to WMI provider

The solution is to go to a command prompt and then run mofcomp.

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Shared>mofcomp "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Shared\sqlmgmproviderxpsp2up.mof"

The output will look like below

Microsoft (R) 32-bit MOF Compiler Version 5.1.2600.2180
    Copyright (c) Microsoft Corp. 1997-2001. All rights reserved.
    Parsing MOF file: C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Shared\sqlmgmprovider
    xpsp2up.mof
    MOF file has been successfully parsed
    Storing data in the repository...
    Done!

On servers, the .mof file will be sqlmgmprovider.mof.

More information here - http://blogs.msdn.com/echarran/archi...03/509061.aspx

Thanks a lot for the reply, I will try that out and let you know if it is working or not.

The problem appear due to damage .mof file. This appear when you are trying to install MS SQL Server 2005. The solution is already mentioned above. You will need to run the mofcomp “C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Shared in cmd. Right click on cmd and choose run as administrator and then only this thing is going to work. If you face any error then use the CD command to enter into c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Shared\ directory. And then try to run the full command back again.This will surely fix the problem.

To fix the problem first exist SQL Server Configuration Manger. Turn it off completely and then you have to restart WMI Service. You can find the same in Windows Service applet. Restart it and then launch SQL Server Configuration Manger. You have to do this thing in admin account so that you have maximum privileges to run programs. Also for once check that firewall is not causing the issue. You can check the configuration of the same and then test back. This will be enough to fix the issue. It can be a port issue also in your system which is causing the problem.