Thread: URGENT OWA returning HTTP 500 error

URGENT OWA returning HTTP 500 error

Can anyone help me to fix the problem related to OWA HTTP 500 Error. I am not able to figure out about the same. I am getting this error constantly but still not able to get the reason behind the same. When I try to login to the server I am getting HTTP 500 Error. Is anyone facing the same issue. Does the problem lies with my system or with the exchange server.

The issue is due to ssl certificate. Your system or the website is not having a valid ssl due to which you are getting the problem. It is necessary that you will need to check whether ISA server is installed or not. Some authentication bug in the system is causing the failure and you will need to check back whether it is giving access to your system or not. Also try to providing some more info. Like are you able to login or the login details are correct. What is mentioned inside event lot related to the problem you are facing.

I am getting the same issue on my system also. It is due to the logon box. When I try to add anything there is a error. I can provide the error description from the event log. It is mentioned below. I hope this will be common to all and can help to put more highlight on the problem. You can check out your LAN adapter. Update the drivers once. If you are having ore than one workstation in your network then try to login with other.
    Code:
    Error Log :
    Source: MSExchangeDSAccess     ID: 2050
    Process IISIPM6AE435F0-F8B5-44BF-8C74-3BD3A27F7601 -AP
    "EXCHANGEAPPLICATIONPOOL (PID=3148). The shared memory heap could not be
    created.

Source: DAVEX     ID: 101
    DAVEX to be shutdown. Version: 6.5.6944.4

I got a link on your error. You can try the same out to find out the cause of issue. I am getting the error on Outlook. I think your and my trouble somewhat related. So in the KB article you can find out some related update that can guide you for the issue.

"HTTP 500 - Internal Server Error" error message when you use Outlook Web Access to access a front-end server

I can list you some settings that might help you to fix the problem. You wlil need to make changes exactly mentioned here. This are the settings for the default web site on you which you are getting error.

Virtual Directory : Exadmin
    • Local Path : \\.\BackOfficeStorage
    • Application Name : Exadmin
    • Starting Point : <Default Web Site>\Exad..
    • Execute Permissions : Scripts Only
    • Application Pool : ExchangeApplicationPool

Virtual Directory : Exchange
    • Local Path :\\.\BackOfficeStorage\fred.co.uk\MBX
    • Application Name : Exchange
    • Starting Point : <Default Web Site>\Exch..

Virtual Directory : ExchWeb
    • Local Path : C:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\ExchWeb
    • Application Name : ExchWeb

Virtual Directory : Bin
    • Local Path : C:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\ExchWeb\bin
    • Application Name : bin

Virtual Directory : auth
    • Local Path : C:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\ExchWeb\bin\auth
    • Application Name : auth
    • Application Pool : ExhangeApplicationPool

Virtual Directory : Microsoft-Server-ActiveSync
    • Local Path : C:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\OMA\Sync
    • Application Name : Microsoft-Server-ActiveSync
    • Starting Point : <Default Web Site>\Micr..
    • Execute Permissions : Scripts and Executables
    • Application Pool : Exchange Application Pool

Virtual Directory : Public
    • Local Path : \\.\BackOfficeStorage\fred.co.uk\Public Folders
    • Application Name :Default Application (Greyed Out)
    • Starting Point : <Default Web Site>
    • Execute Permissions : None
    • Application Pool : ExchangeApplicationPool (Greyed Out)

There is a hotfix available for that. But it did not worked for me. I am doubtful about the same. The hot fix is available through windows update and on official website. In my cause I am getting a problem with page. It is not getting displayed. But I think in your case it can work because I here I am not getting 500 page not found error. It looks the attempt to access the webpage is causing the failure and that is why the error is displayed.

It is a strange error. Everything looks to be connected and working fine, but somehow the error appears again. If you are not the admin, I will recommend you to report that error. You have to also check that all the websites must be displayed properly in the web browser. And to get more reference you can visit Microsoft Support Site and type the error code. You will find a bunch of related articles that would help you to fix the same.

I think auto updates are causing the failure. That is the reason I am very peculiar about adding updates. A number of time various updates screws the performance of actual working server. So it is recommended that you must download only required upgrades. I always check for updates but download them only after checking out the problem on web. There are people who always report about problem generated after adding updates.

Similar problem -- SOLVED

I found this thread very usefull because i run into similar problem. We are using Exchange 2003 SBS Premium with OWA enabled. Exchange Virtual Server is set to use Forms. I installed php and register ISAPI filter in IIS 6.0 for that. After this OWA started to list all directory of mailboxes and after turning off directory browsing error 405 comes up. HTTP Error 405 - The HTTP verb used to access this page is not allowed. I turned off Forms in Exchange System Manager, check OWA (it worked), and turn on Forms again. And OWA start running with forms again. It seems that turning off and on Forms in EMS unregister/register owaauth.dll file

Re: URGENT OWA returning HTTP 500 error

Jerry,
    You ARE AWESOME!!!!!!!

I have (had) the same problem as rob and spent the better part of the last few weeks (customer extremely patient with me) working on this same issue. It was a fresh install of MS SBS 2003. Everything worked out of the box. Dell in their ever loving wisdom sent a package called Comvault for backups. It was way over kill and like an idiot I didnt read the fine print. Once that was installed, everything else in Sharepoint ceased to function. I wish I could have billed for all the hours I spent undoing what I had done. This was the last piece I could not get to work. I built a test server and duplicated my errors so I could troubleshoot on a non production server and have been banging my head on the wall until I stumbled across this thread. Needless to say, I followed every word between you and rob and everything he experienced was the same here including the tears of joy when it all starting working. You are a credit to your our profession and deserve a raise. thank you too, for you patience with Rob and thank you Rob if your still out there for having the same issues NOT that I wish these challenges on anyone. I learned many a lesson throughout this ordeal.

This is one of the working links that can help you. The problem that you are facing appeared due to security enhancement. So you can fix that by restoring system back to older date when the applied update is wiped out. There can be some restriction problem due to which the error appear. Just refer links below and it will give you more detailed information on dealing with the trouble.

"500 - Internal server error" error message when a user tries to access a clustered Exchange Server 2003 back-end server by using Outlook Web Access

I got the error when I moved the mail box from one Exchange server to another. It did not worked well. I am also not sure about the settings. It looks that everything was fine, but somehow the settings were affected and cause the failure. I hope there will be some way to fix out. I do not want to move the same again or else more problem will be generated and it can cause more failure.

Hey guys,

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone for all of the advice on here. Unfortunately I had a run in with Symantec support after End point security 11 stopped working and a kind support engineer over-wrote all of the default properties on all websites on our SBS 2003. I didn't feel comfortable going back to them to sort it out so I installed a parallel SBS 2003 server and went through every property page trying to get the system back up and running. Eventually I reached the point where I could again use the <server>/remote website but the <server>/exchange website would return HTTP Error 405 after a successful logon was performed. I then searched on the web and found this fabulous thread :) I've followed all of the instructions above but unfortunately it doesn't seem to have fixed my problem. I'm currently in the situation that if I navigate to <server>/exchange I'm now presented with a directory listing of all my users mail boxes. I tried turning off directory browsing as vldo suggested but this didn't help. If I click on my username I get a log on page but that leads to the HTTP 405 error with a successful log. If anyone has any ideas I'd really appreciate it.

Best regards,

Adam