Thread: SBS2003, Exchange 2003 & Mobile ActiveSync

SBS2003, Exchange 2003 & Mobile ActiveSync

I am facing problem with OWA on SBS 2003. Exchange 2003 is also configured on the same. Whey I try to access OWA I am getting a error that you do not have permission to sync your current settings. The error code on the screen is -- 85010004. I had searched on google but not able to find out any working solution for the same. I am trying to manage the permission but still it is not working. Also I am not able to sync my HTC verizon phone with the server and get exactly the same error on it.

You will need to check out some services that are enabled or not. With that you can troubleshoot the problem. For that go in Active Directory and there you can find User. Right click on that and choose Properties. In that go in Exchange features and click on Mobile Services. Enable everything here and check back. Now again try to connect and see where you are getting that error not. You can give us more information on your problem by going in Event Log and posting the entire error log here.

Re: SBS2003, Exchange 2003 & Mobile ActiveSync

I am having difficulty to configure exchange 2003 (ON a SBS server) for Activesync. My requirement is to synchronise exchange emails and contact with iphones.
    I installed godaddy certificate in the IIS default website and OWA works fine.
    I followed your site instructions which is similar to MS article ID 817379.
    When I tried to sync iphone, it says user authentication failed. I tested it with Exchange Remote Connectivity analyzer and got following result.

Testing Exchange ActiveSync
    Exchange ActiveSync test Failed
    Test Steps
    Attempting to resolve the host name mail.cygresearch.com in DNS.
    Host successfully resolved
    Additional Details
    IP(s) returned: 24.215.43.226

Testing TCP Port 443 on host mail.cygresearch.com to ensure it is listening and open.
    The port was opened successfully.
    Testing SSL Certificate for validity.
    The certificate passed all validation requirements.
    Test Steps
    Validating certificate name
    Successfully validated the certificate name
    Additional Details
    Found hostname mail.cygresearch.com in Certificate Subject Common name

Validating certificate trust for Windows Mobile Devices
    The test passed with some warnings encountered. Please expand additional details.
    Additional Details
    Certificate is only trusted on Windows Mobile 6.0 and later. Windows Mobile 5.0 and 5.0 + MSFP devices will not be able to sync. Root = OU=Go Daddy Class 2 Certification Authority, O="The Go Daddy Group, Inc.", C=US

Testing certificate date to ensure validity
    Date Validation passed. The certificate is not expired.
    Additional Details
    Certificate is valid: NotBefore = 10/26/2009 1:00:08 PM, NotAfter = 10/26/2012 1:00:08 PM"

Testing Http Authentication Methods for URL https://mail.cygresearch.com/Microso...er-Activesync/
    Http Authentication Test failed
    Additional Details
    An HTTP 403 forbidden response was received. The response appears to have come from IIS6. Body is: <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">
    <HTML><HEAD><TITLE>You are not authorized to view this page</TITLE>
    <META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" Content="text/html; charset=Windows-1252">
    <STYLE type="text/css">
    BODY { font: 8pt/12pt verdana }
    H1 { font: 13pt/15pt verdana }
    H2 { font: 8pt/12pt verdana }
    A:link { color: red }
    A:visited { color: maroon }
    </STYLE>
    </HEAD><BODY><TABLE width=500 border=0 cellspacing=10><TR><TD>

<h1>You are not authorized to view this page</h1>
    The Web server you are attempting to reach has a list of IP addresses that are not allowed to access the Web site, and the IP address of your browsing computer is on this list.
    <hr>
    <p>Please try the following:</p>
    <ul>
    <li>Contact the Web site administrator if you believe you should be able to view this directory or page.</li>
    </ul>
    <h2>HTTP Error 403.6 - Forbidden: IP address of the client has been rejected.<br>Internet Information Services (IIS)</h2>
    <hr>
    <p>Technical Information (for support personnel)</p>
    <ul>
    <li>Go to <a href="http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=8180">Microsoft Product Support Services</a> and perform a title search for the words <b>HTTP</b> and <b>403</b>.</li>
    <li>Open <b>IIS Help</b>, which is accessible in IIS Manager (inetmgr),
    and search for topics titled <b>About Security</b>, <b>Limiting Access by IP Address</b>, <b>IP Address Access Restrictions</b>, and <b>About Custom Error Messages</b>.</li>
    </ul>

</TD></TR></TABLE></BODY></HTML>

Can you please tell me where the problem is.

Thanks in advanced.

Did you checked the same in any other mobile like on a iPhone. If not then just verify the same connectivity once again. There are other Windows mobile devices on which you get and find out the right settings. You can also verify the information on this problem by going inside Exchange Remote Connectivity analyzer report. Just re-setup Active Sync once again and check back. I will advice you to get a manual on the same from the official website or online and then check out.

This was a old installation, but activesync never worked, but OWA worked.
    Last Saturday I was able to make it work with iphones after giving permision to Microsoft-server-Activesync folder under IIS.
    IIS --->Microsoft-server-ActiveSync-->properties-->Directory Security-->IP address and domain name restrictions --> Grant access.( it was set only to local IP address)

But I have a different issue now with OWA. It works internally with https:\\127.0.0.1\exchange, but when try to access from outside, it ask for the user name and password and trying to load the page without success. I think OWA page is directing to exchange-oma folder. Could you tell me how to resolve this issue.

yes I am using https://mail.mydomain.com/exchange to connect. When I try with Firefox it works. I think this behaviour explained in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/280823 some thing to do with HTTP-DAV

Can you post the complete method of connectivity that you are trying with OWA. On that basis I can help you out. You can try once to connect through the IP address and then see whether it works fine or not. According to me you are using ISA. And on that you will need to publish OWA properly or this kind of issue appear. If you had upgraded the server from old then also this kind of problem come. Ensure that SSL is enabled and all permission for accessing the same is altered. Just recheck your settings.

1. There is no ISA server in the environment
    2.It was not upgraded from 2000. OWA was working until I tried to configure Active Sync.
    3. I checked the SSL certificate for evry web site under default. it was like this
    Exchange-OMA - No
    ExAdmin - Yes
    Exchange - Yes
    Public -Yes
    RPC - Yes
    RPC withCert -No
    tsweb -No
    4. This might be true. How can I check the proper permission?

I did not run the wizard to reset the configuration. That would be my last resort.

Did you tried to access the same through browser. I hope that would work. I am using IE to access OWA from remote location and there is no issue. I am providing a Microsoft link below that will give you more information on the problem with some quick troubleshooting steps. You can go through the link once and find out what you can do in fixing the problem.

Troubleshooting OWA when the contents frame displays “Loading”

Hi Ace and Robbin,
    I followed KB280823 and it fixed the issue. Thank both of you for valuable help. this is a great forum.

Thanks and have a nice day.

Charles