Thread: DHCP quit handing out IP Addresses after SBS 2003 SP2 Installed

DHCP quit handing out IP Addresses after SBS 2003 SP2 Installed

I am working on SBS 2003 SP2. I had performed a fresh installation. There were some performance issue, so I thought re-installing the same will give more better output. There are around 10 to 15 workstations. I installed it in the night and later on in the morning started with further configuration. So the workstation must get the renewed ip address through DHCP. But somehow it looks it is failing. The DHCP is not working well and I do not think it is possible to restore the service.

To ensure that the problem only lies with DHCP you will need to perform some test. You can run ipconfig /all in cmd and there you can find out whether the systems are getting a valid IP configuration or not. You can try to add manual ip config and then check back again. It is possible to restart DHCP service but it is not easy to restore the same back.

Did you checked that ISA is installed with the setup or not. If not then this component can also be added later on. A number of services are missing at fresh setup due to which you get this kind of errors. Always keep a manual of all settings ready with you at the time of performing fresh setup. Or else there would be this kind of common problem. You can also perform a repair setup that would help you in many ways.

DHCP errors can let you improper ip configuration that would annoy you a lot. The service can be broken due to which you are facing problem. The most easiest way to troubleshoot the problem is assigning a static ip address to each workstation. But that is a long work if there are high number of pc. It is good for a small network. You can try to re-install same as additional component and then check again.

I am running ISA 2000 on my system. I had managed some settings recently which landed in the same problem. I was just trying to configure a new network.I had modified the LAT entry which reflect the subnet. But somehow the ISA stopped working. I had restarted the DHCP client still nothing happen. The workstations in the network are not able to communicate with the DHCP which annoys a lot.

Check out the compatibility settings with the services in Windows Server. That would help you more in fixing the problem. There are some set of hotfix that you can find on the official website of Microsoft. Still there are chances to get the same from hot fix and it might start working. It happens that at the time of fresh installation many components are not installed properly and this kind of problem appears.

The best thing you must do first is go in the error logs. There you can find a detail set of information with associated services. It is possible that some other service on which DHCP is depended would not be working properly. So go in the logs and try to locate the services information on the same. You can try re-running CEICW that would help you to run a configuration wizard and deal with the issue.

Re: DHCP quit handing out IP Addresses after SBS 2003 SP2 Installed

I think running CEICW will be more helpful in your case. There is nothing to much worry on the same. It is necessary that you must check out all the components inside Administrative services. If still you are not able to work with the same it will be better if you go with re-installation of entire server setup once again and it would help you dealing with the problem you are facing.

I need some help here based on a similar problem. I am reading many threads which are quiet similar and I hope it would help a lot. But somehow I am not able to get what I am looking for. In my network Outlook on the client system is not working and it all started after re-installing server. I had installed SBS 2003 SP2. 03 Premium. I am not able to find the reason behind it. I am not at all expert is fixing the problem, I just know the basic installation procedure.

Here is a reference link that would help you more. It is necessary that you first perform windows update. It is essential as it is capable of adding all the missing stuff and adding more stability. You can check out the link below that has detailed information on how to fix the error that you are facing.

VPN, SecureNat/Nat and Outlook clients not working after installing Windows Service Pack 2 in SBS 2003 Premium

I had the same problem - but without ISA.

I solved it by turning off the Windows Firewall (yes - it was turned on!).

Now all my clients work as they did.

HTH
    Raffles