Thread: Perflib errors in event logs after SP2 installation

Perflib errors in event logs after SP2 installation

I was running SBS 2003 with SP1 fully patched. After many recommendations I finally upgraded it from SP1 to SP2. Though there was no problem during the upgrade/installation process, but when the system restarted after install I received the following error when trying to login the console:

"The system cannot start as currently configured. Using a previous configuration instead".

Surprisingly though I received this error I was logged in and everything seems fine. Later when I checked the Apps log, there were many entries about winmgmt and perflib warnings. I have no idea what has went wrong. Hope anyone here can help me out with this.

Below am posting the Event ID errors for info on the problem:

Event ID 5603:
    A provider, Rsop Planning Mode Provider, has been registered in the WMI namespace, root\RSOP, but did not specify the HostingModel property. This provider will be run using the LocalSystem account. This account is privileged and the provider may cause a security violation if it does not correctly impersonate user requests. Ensure that provider has been reviewed for security behavior and update the HostingModel property of the provider registration to an account with the least privileges possible for the required functionality.

Perflib/Event ID 2003
    The configuration information of the performance library "C:\WINDOWS\system32\aspperf.dll" for the "ASP" service does not match the trusted performance library information stored in the registry. The functions in this library will not be treated as trusted.

Perflib/Event ID 1016
    The data buffer created for the "EXOLEDB" service in the "C:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\bin\exodbpc.dll" library is not aligned on an 8-byte boundary. This may cause problems for applications that are trying to read the performance data buffer. Contact the manufacturer of this library or service to have this problem corrected or to get a newer version of this library.

WinMgmt/Event ID 47
    WMI ADAP was unable to retrieve data from the PerfLib subkey: SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Autocat\Performance\Library, error code: 0x80041009
    Somebody please help?

RE: Perflib errors in event logs after SP2 installation

As far as the Event ID 5603 is concerned it occurs because the Windows Management infrastructure notifies users that any provider that runs under the Local System account is a potential security risk. Because the Resultant Set of Policy (RSoP) provider runs under the Local System account, this event is expected. By the way, did you received the same error on the second logon as well? If not, then don’t worry, ignore that error and relax.

Re: Perflib errors in event logs after SP2 installation

Alrite Borgnine. I think you are right. As the error appeared just once in think I should ignore it. Also because the server seems to be working fine so far and I also dint received any error on the second login. Anyways, will keep an eye and let you know if I face any problem.

Re: Perflib errors in event logs after SP2 installation

That good. Anyways, I would like to tell you that if you want to backup and then remove the performance registry key from the related services HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\<service name>\Performance