Thread: Event ID 55; File system structure is corrupt and unusable.

Event ID 55; File system structure is corrupt and unusable.

We have SBS2003 SP1 on RAID1 and since a couple of days it has started restarting suddenly. I have gone through the event log and i see lot of Event ID 55 there. It says "The file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable. Please run the chkdsk utility on the volume \Device\Hard disk\Volume1". Everything works fine after starting the system but i want to track down the cause of this issue and fix it permanently.

RE: Event ID 55; File system structure is corrupt and unusable.

I am not sure but it seems as if there's some kind of hardware fault in your system. I will suggest you to backup everything and run some diagnostics for your disk subsystem. You can also run chkdsk utility as said in the event log entries. In case these thing doesn't make any difference in your case then you can uninstall and reinstall the disk controller driver. While doing that just make sure that you are installing the latest version of disk controller driver from manufacturer site.

Just try out things Ive suggested and post back if any of the suggested solutions end the restating issue.

I have checked out for the "Event ID 55; File system structure is corrupt and unusable." and most of the experts have mentioned it occurs because of hardware fault. I guess one of your hard drive might be failing. In that case you should find out the right one as soon as possible and back up the same. Later on you can run disk diagnostics that your manufacturer might be having for you or you can download the one you like. If your hard drive fails to pass diagnostic test then you will have to replace it.