Thread: error - Windows can not connect to the domain...domain controller

error - Windows can not connect to the domain...domain controller

I’m running a SBS 2003 network and have a client laptop which is running with Windows XP Pro. In order to connect this laptop on my network I cet it up computer account on server, created user account on server and ran \connectComputer on client. Also migrated user profile to maintain the users settings and so far everything went fine without any problems.

But on the next reboot, I was only able to login to the client locally, it wont allow me to login to the domain. Though there is option and put the correct login credentials as created on the server, it gives me an error message saying:

“Windows can not connect to the domain either because the domain controller is down or otherwise unavailable, or because your computer account was not found.”

Any idea what is wrong? Will running the connectComputer will fix this problem or should I delete the computer and user accounts, recreate them and the run \connectComputer? Please help.

I think I can help you with this. Was facing exactly the same problem last month with an Windows 2000 running client. After lots of research finally I fixed it by changing back to workgroup and re-running the wizard. Second time I booted, the problem was gone. So just give it a try as well. I can say this because when you will boot for the first time and come to logon screen, it should be domain administrator until the setup script has run. The next login can be as the user.

I changed the pc to workgroup from domain without deleting the computer from ADUC in the server and after restarting the pc, again I rejoined the pc to the domain controller.

After joining the pc to the domain I logged in as the same user but I lost the user's previous profile (Included the Internal & External Mail).

My question is, can I recover the profile? If yes please let me know how can I recover?

I have already took the desktop backup etc.
    I have lost my outlook express & MS-OUTLOOK 2003 mailbox which I am using for external mails. I recovered the internal mails but I want to recover the external mailbox for the user, how can I recover?

I did not understand the following sentence.

Search Engines will flush out the details. Could you please explain this?

And Mr. Larry I would also want to know how can I find the current profile I am running.
    My Profile names are as follows:

syed.IT syed.IT.000 == I want to know which is the Current & which is old profile. Can I delete old profile? If yes, let me know how? So, I can free up the C:\ space.

And let me know that, can I log in to two profiles? If yes how can I?

Re: error - Windows can not connect to the domain...domain controller

will it delete the mails in the located folder like outlook and outlook express

Re: error - Windows can not connect to the domain...domain controller

Hi, if you haven't tried this, please check if the user end PC had a different MAC Address registered in DHCP on domain controller, or probably there are 2 NIC, one of the NIC were registered in "Reservations" in DHCP.