Thread: Event Log I get a VSS 12302 error

Event Log I get a VSS 12302 error

I need some help with backup of Windows SBS 2003 SP1. I am trying to work with ntbackup and it simply fails. There is a error on the screen which is related to some volume shadow copy:oxffffff. What the error actually stands for. I am getting this constantly on the screen. The error is returned at the time of creating volume shadow copy. The backup fails. I checked inside the event log and found some error number 12302. Any idea why this error appear and how to fix the same.

You are getting some 12302 error on your SBS 2003. There is a way to fix the problem. First you will need to check that you had applied SP1 update or not. Also check are there any recent updates in the system. If yes then does the issue appear after when the updates where installed. There can some third party backup solution also in your system which might be causing the failure. You will need to locate the conflict and get rid of the same. Run windows update once again and check back the same.

Re: Event Log I get a VSS 12302 error

I remember a year before I had also faced the same kind of error in my system. I am quiet not able to figure why it appear. But it is surprise to find that the error still exist. You must disconnect the server once from the network and then work with complete installation of SBS 2003. That is the only way to fix the problem. Once the installation is fine you can simply run the backup. It is not easy to fix that on your existing setup.

Re: Event Log I get a VSS 12302 error

I'm not sure if my case is exactly the same as above as everything apart from ntbackup was working correctly. In any case, my problem was the same. NTBackup suddenly stopped working. I was running an eBox server - specifically for storing backups on a share. Shutting down the eBox machine fixed the ntbackup problem! I will have to investigate further but I think it may be a timing issue between booting the Win 2K3 server and the eBox machine!