Thread: SBS 2011 keeps rebooting

SBS 2011 keeps rebooting

Since the last "Restart" the server will not fully load the OS anymore and keeps on rebooting. I see the Microsoft logo for a few seconds, then the mouse pointer on a black background and then it reboots on its own.

I tried using "Safe Mode" as well as "Last Good" but it does the same. The best I could do is use the "Disable auto-reboot on error" which allowed me to actually get to a blue screen displaying the following message:

Directory Service could not Start because a device attached to the system is not functionning.
    Error Status 0XC0000001
    Reboot in “Directory Services Restore Mode….

The message also mentionned to look into the event viewer for error messages... well, the server still reboots when using the "Directory Services Restore Mode" only it takes a little bit more time before it does. Not being able to boot and login into the OS, I can hardly look at the Event Viewer for additional info on what could be wrong or which device is not funtionning.

Using the DOS prompt option from the "Recovery" menu, I was able to browse the E: drive where the OS is actually located but could not find the Event log files under \Program Files\Windows Small Business Server\Logs

Does someone know where those files are located so I can hopefully open them and find out more about the error the system is encountering which make it reboot all the time (i.e. which device it "thinks" is missing" as there is only a screen/mouse & keyboard attached to this server).

I would rather be able to fix this without having to re-install the OS and reconfiguring this server who is also a Domain Controler (of course being a SBS it is the only server on the Network so it provides all services).

Thanks

Re: SBS 2011 keeps rebooting

You have mentioned that either safe mode and Last Known Good Configuration did not seems to work than I think reinstalling from the backup could do the trick for you. However if it is possible for you should get the minidump file and provide the same over here.