Thread: Trend Worry Free Slowing Server

Trend Worry Free Slowing SBS 2003 Server

I am not able to work on my SBS 2003 Server. I am using Trend worry Free 6 Advance. I got the setup from my office where it is already installed on a server and it is working fine. I had installed on SBS 2003 R2 Server. The server that I am using is Dell Dimension 1800. It has 4GB RAM and the clients which are connected to the same are on Windows XP SP3. After the installation of Trend Worry I found that the server is working extremely slow. It is quiet annoying. Does this a common issue. Or some settings can fix the problem.

You are getting this problem because Trend Worry is scanning your Exchange Server folders. A number of time I had seen when you add a antivirus the server performance is degraded. Trend Worry is a good and advance tool. You will need to either leave the antivirus to scan your system or simply add the exchange server folders under exclusion list and then see what happens. I am sure it will be working fine.

Just exclude those folders and then check back. Your performance will be boosted. You can also add more ram sticks to the system and then see whether things are fine or not. I am using Symantec and at start I have to optimize the performance. Or else stuff would cause more major problem. The current ram that I am using is 4GB which I extended to 6 and the performance was a bit improved.

It is a long time I had quiet using Trend Worry. I was using that and I am having good experience in it. I had also recommended a number of clients to use the same. But that was till version 2.0. There were no complains. Things were fine. But as the same was upgraded to version 5.0 a new set of problem started appearing. Many clients had started complaining about the antivirus behavior. The reason was same slow performance.

In our office I am using Kaseya. It is a nice software for patch management. Later on we found Trend Micro. We had gone with the same due to some vulnerabilities which keep on entering the server. Now after the installation we also upgraded to IE 7 from IE 6. Things were fine. After a year ago we scanned for vulnerabilities and found that there are some files which are ignored. So this puts a question on the performance of Trend Worry. Later we skipped Trend Micro and installed SmartScan. This is another good scanner that really worked well without any problem.

This for those who are facing slow server performance. Just use SmartScan. It is a good tool. But if you had invested on Trend Worry then basic optimization would help you to gain more speed. I had also installed WFBS 6 recently. There are number of problems which were fixed automatically. You can keep on checking out fresh updates which will help you to avoid such clashes.

I had not yet planned for 6.0 update. I do not want to screw the settings. I am just waiting for some proof that can convince me that after upgrade there will be no bug at all. I am still using 5.1 on my system. So instead of creating problem by upgrade it is better if I would go with the setup only after getting some conclusions.

This is my personal experience that after adding Trend Worry the server performance is affected to great extent. It is not working well at all. I am not able understand. There is no good solution available for new version server that allow a much better performance. The first thing that I faced is a slow internet connection. It appear to be working extremely slow. Later on I added the conventional scan and gain some output. Your server hardware must be good enough to handle the regular services and antivirus operations.

I ran into problem due to smart scan. I was not aware about the conventional part here. It was fine but somehow it looks the workstation is having more load and due to which it is a bit less responsive. I am trying to find out the network traffic status that is causing the performance failure. The system was basic with SP1 and 6.0 on it. But somehow when performance issue appear we had tried to re-install the firewall and other required stuff. We had updated the drivers and there is a bit improvement. My experience says that Trend Worry is a pain after new version. The old version was far more better and compared to that Symantec is worst.

Re: Trend Worry Free Slowing Server

If you want to know more information between the difference of conventional and smart scan then you can check out the below link. It will guide you more on the same. The link below consist of a article that define the different between both. I am not sure whether this is some kind of myth or assumption that both deliver a different kind of performance. Many has found that SmartScan compared to Conventional is more resource intensive. That can be due to the type of scanning mode they are using. Just check the link below to get the exact difference.

According to me the server is slow. You have to re-verify the hardware once. It is has less than 4GB ram, a old processor then you cannot expect much from it. To get more performance you will have to upgrade your hardware and then only you can get a better output. In my case I am not using SmartScan. I had seen a big difference between the performance while changing the type of scan mode.

Re: Trend Worry Free Slowing Server

My problem started when I moved from 5.0 to 5.1 on my network. It occurred on one the biggest network of my office. Just a minor update has screwed the entire network and the performance was affected. I was not able to work on the applications nor I was able to reduce the load. The clients started complaining about the slow output. But when I switch back to 5.0 things were fine. There was no problem at all.

I will say the same thing that others are saying. Just check the system requirement and then check back. The system requirement will give you more support on your issue. This is a straight performance issue. It is obvious that the new version of any security application will be loaded with more feature and it will demand more system resource.

I am tracking this issue from long time. I thought I was the only one facing the problem. In my case our systems were directly upgraded from 3.6 to 5.0. So that was a big leap. Once it was done the system started to work slow. It was extremely slow. It affected everything. The web browsing was port and there was nothing I can do. Also I was not able to find the location of TMBMSRV.exe. The problem lies with removal of old 3.6 client. The best thing is to install from scratch while upgrades never work well.

Trend Worry-Free Slow Performance Solved

I had also managed to install Trend on certain client website's. I found that after installation the server resources are more utilized. The cpu usage is increased. I had kept the track of application utilizing system resource before installation. So that rises to about 20%. My cpu is Core 2 Duo. I do not know the exact model. There is reasonable amount of ram provided. Smart Scan is enabled here and it looks to be working well. But somehow it is found that older servers will not co-operate with new edition of Trend Worry.