Thread: Not receiving Mail in sbs 2008

Not receiving Mail in sbs 2008

I have been running a sbs2003 using externally supported email and the pop connector. I have set up a test server for moving to sbs 2008 and an in-house managed email system.
    The set up went well except that I can not receive mail. I can send mail. I can remote deskop and remote.servername.com externally to the server. my mx is set up. I can telnet from behind the server but I get a blank response from outside.
    My port 25 says there is nothing there but so does my my port 80 but I get a www response when i put my external ip in an external system.
    My receive connector appears to be set correctly as well.

Any suggestions welcome.

Re: Not receiving Mail in sbs 2008

I don’t think the problem is with SBS 2008 because as you said you are able to telnet internally and not externally, SBS is listening and waiting for connections. According to this there could be two reasons for the problem, First, a device between your SBS server and internet connection is not able to pass port 25 to the SBS server. And second, might be your Internet Service Provider is blocking the port 25.

You need to work out on these two situations.

Re: Not receiving Mail in sbs 2008

In my point of view I think you have run connect to the internet and mail wiz. But as you said one of the devices is not able to pass port 25 traffic, you should try correcting the name required in mail wiz. If you don’t know doing that just reply with the device model and name. I’ll try to help you out.

RE: Not receiving Mail in sbs 2008

You should try manually testing incoming traffic. here is how you can do the same:

1. Use nslookup to find out the MX records of the specified domain.

2. Send a test message using telnet on port 25 using each MX recorded listed in the previous query. For more information how to use telnet to test SMTP communication you can check KB 153119.