Thread: Local administrators in SBS 2008

Local administrators in SBS 2008

This is a SBS 2008 server with three clients. All these three clients want to have local administrator privileges individually on all three workstations. Well I tried doing the same via Computer Management on client PCs as well as the SBS 2008 console but am not able to get the job done. Though am able to provide them those privileges but it wont stick there.

I’ve seen in few cases that the user is an administrator in Computer Management, but right-clicking on Start shows the abbreviated context menu which is usually shown only to non-administrator users only. I’m not even able to fix it by defragging; instead it results in a message that calls for administrator privileges. I’m not able to understand what is going wrong.

Any help will be appreciated.

Re: Local administrators in SBS 2008

In the SBS 2008 console, is there a User Role assigned to these users?

As per your post what I assume is you wont be able to add users to the local administrators group on those client workstations. Anyways, lets try out some workaround. First of all, Have you configured any Group Policy Preference Local Users and Groups settings or Group Policy Restricted Groups that may override the Local Administrator members?

If you are not sure about this then you need to gather the Group Policy RSOP on the clients systems for further troubleshooting. If you don’t know how to gather the Group Policy RSOP, follow these steps:
    • Go to GPMC and process the Group Policy Result wizard to collect the data of RSOP.
    • Right click Group Policy Results > Group Policy Results Wizard¡
    • Choose another computer to point to the problematic client.
    • Select that problematic user account and click next to collect the group policy result data.

Here under the summary tab verify if there is any Group Policy Preference Local Users and Groups settings or Group Policy Restricted Groups applied.

I appreciate your helps guys, but I’m sure I tried giving them Administrator user role in very similar manner. Anyways, I’ll try it again with these instructions.