Thread: Reset User Password SBS 2003

Reset User Password SBS 2003

I am not able to reset a user password on my SBS 2003 server. I am having a admin account and I was able to modify all the settings. But somehow it looks the user profile is not taking the changes. When I go in the admin panel and try to modify the password I cannot find any options related to that. It looks it is completely disabled inside account properties. I enabled the option user must change password on next logon and tested that on a client pc. But that also is not working.

What you find in Administrative Tool. Are you able to get the right settings. Go in AD User & Computers. Navigate to the OU and then select the user account who's password you want to modify. You do not need to open that. Just right click on this and click on reset password. The option to change password on next logon is very annoying. After every restart server will keep on asking to modify the password. It is necessary that you must reset it and provide the new password.

If you are doing the same from server side then you might be restricted only if you are not having access for that. There are option available in the server through which you can assign a set of accounts not to touch certain settings. You can also do the same from clients end. You can put the password change prompt on first login that's all or simply reconnect the client pc to the domain and then check back. It would be modified and work well.

It looks weird. From the AD you can manage to modify the password or any settings of a user profile. It looks the user account that you are trying to reset belong to some group which has limited accessibility. You had not mentioned that you are the admin of the network. Password is not at all a complicated option in SBS. It is easy that can be done through Active Directory. But as you said that you cannot see any options you must recheck the settings back and then check again.

In my case SBS act as a basic file server. I am managing more than 50 workstations on it. The account password is basically default but somehow it looks that some recent changes has screwed some login. Even after resetting the password the clients were complaining for accessing the data. So I simply replaced those account. I removed the user account and then add the same again and it worked. There was no problem at all with the same.