Thread: SBS 2003 roaming profiles

SBS 2003 roaming profiles

I am configuring SBS 2003. There are around 50 workstations which are connected. I am using the wizard to establish a proper configuration. I am also working on folder redirection in GPO and hope that it work properly. I got some advice that I must allow the admin to see the files. But after applying the settings it does not work. The folders are redirected to Share folders but somehow it is not working as I am expecting.

Re: SBS 2003 roaming profiles

How are you doing that. Is there any manual available which can guide you for the process. There are some initial settings that are important or else the entire stuff is just a waste of time. You can find ample of changes in the gpo settings. You must first share the same on server. Once it is done you must verify the share permission properly. You can add the admin in that to access the share files. Now go in aduc properties and there you can provide the user name in profile field. The location is \\server\profiles$\%username%.

There can be issue with the dns due to which you are getting the problem. Try to run ipconfig /all and see what information you get on the same. You have to check the same from both side. On the server and on the client as well. It is recommended that rightnow you do not mess with settings. Because everything is working, except admins are not able to view shared files. You can go on technet and read about the access information of shared files and see whether things are working fine or not.

In my case all data is stored on the business workstation. There is no private system which is not accessible to all. It is a common network. Now in my case the roaming profiles looks to be working fine. The server folders are mapped automatically as one login on a workstation. The permission is set so that no one from outside can access the data. But I am wondering that what happen if the profile get corrupt. What about the data. It is a bit risky to store the data on different locations.

What issue are you facing exactly. According to me the access information that you are mentioned above is due to permission. You can find the relative information in gpo but it is better to go with a manual that would guide you to go with proper settings. The problem lies in the configuration only while other stuff is working well. Technet has ample of resource on what you are looking for.

I don't mean to thread hijack but what about if I need to update someone's login information, i.e. marriage, divorce? What happens to the files that are currently in those folders?