Thread: Error installing KB960082 on SBS 2003 R2 Std

Error installing KB960082 on SBS 2003 R2 Std

I was just installing some patches on SBS 2003. I am working on test server. I am going to migrate the same to the final but before I have to find out any bug or error generated after applying the patch. There were two updates which I found and when I try to install am getting a error. The server is not accepting them. I am getting installation fail error. I restarted the server a number of time but still nothing happen. The only update on which it is stucked is KB960082. The failure code is not giving out any information.

RE: Error installing KB960082 on SBS 2003 R2 Std

I am also getting the same problem. It looks the update that you are talking is buggy. I had kept the server on automatic updates and upon reboot I got the error. I skipped the update. You can ignore that and you can simply contact microsoft for the error. It happens a number of time they deliver damage update which they replace. It is always better to update manually. That means ticking on each update and leaving the one which is not required.

Does the problem is due to WSUS. I do not think it is a big issue. I had not yet approved the updates. I wonder that the error will be popped on all the workstation. I will wait back for more better information on the same. Last time I had approved a buggy update which cause errors in the entire network. It was so complicated to fix the same. Is there any information available on the update that you had installed. What is it related to.

Re: Error installing KB960082 on SBS 2003 R2 Std

Here are some links on KB960082 update. It is a essential security update that cannot be ignored. The link below also provide information on some related updates that you can test out. The updates are essential but you can wait back for sometime if that is causing trouble. You can once try to run the update manually. Download the same and then run the setup. If there is error then keep the same in pending list. Sometime the download is also corrupted due to which a few number of updates failed to install.

MS09-004: Description of the security update for SQL Server 2000 GDR and for MSDE 2000: February 10, 2009

In my system the pending updates is around 2GB. The entire WSUS database has grown to large size that makes it annoying to go for download. I am even not aware when last I had performed update. There is one more place where you can find more information on the error you are facing. Go in Event Log. You can find the problem. The description offer you more detail on the failure update and it really works fine.

I think I found the solution to this problem. Robin put me on the right track. I went to Add Remove Programs and found SQL MSDE listed three times. Once without an instance identified and then once for SBSMonitoring and once for Sharepoint. I looked at the versions of all three and saw that the unidentified one an the Sharepoint one had been updated, but that the SBSMonitoring instance had not. So I assumed this was the instance causing the install to fail. I looked at my running services and discovered that the Sharepoint instance o MSDE was running but that the SBSMonitoring instance was stopped. I had not yet set up SBSMonitoring on my SBS. So I went ahead and set up SBSMonitoring and confirmed that the service was started. I tried to install the update again and it succeeded.