Thread: SBS POP3 Connector Problem

SBS POP3 Connector Problem

Today morning we decided to migrate our SBS 2003 to SBS 2008 and we did it successfully. Everything was working fine until we tried setting up POP3 connector. POP3 is just not working after the migration. When we checked Event Viewer logs for the same, it says:

“Event ID 203
    An error occurred while delivering mail to 'Rick@libertywrites.com' on the SMTP server 'localhost'. The error code was 0x800ccc69. Verify that the mailbox exists and that the Exchange receive connectors are configured properly.”

As I have done this earlier on SBS 2003 I know well about POP3 parameters, I checked it on SBS 2008 and everything seems to be fine. Then what is the problem? Any help would be appreciated.

RE: SBS POP3 Connector Problem

According to your post what I assume is if sending and receiving external emails works fine and only POP3 Connector
    failed then usually the SMTP Relay if not correctly configured on SBS 2008 server. Hence you should better check out this article describing How to Configure Trusted SMTP Relay in Exchange on SBS 2008 blogs.technet.com/sbs/archive/2008/09/18/how-to-configure-trusted-smtp-relay-in-exchange-on-sbs-2008.aspx.

Apart from this there is also a KB Article regarding enabling Verbose logging in the Windows SBS 2008 POP3 Connector
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958798

I was getting Exactly the same result here with POP3 Connector on SBS 2008 Premium.

YES this post is long but it does contain a solution right up top here, the rest of the information may be helpful.

It was an internal SMTP issue. The POP3 connector actually was working, but did nothing with the mail since it couldn't deliver it to my internal Exchange Recipient.

*** SOLUTION this issue in my case at least:
    In my scenario, creating an Authoritative Accepted Domain in Exchange Management Console > Organization Configuration > Hub Transport allowed SMTP to deliver the mail.
    *** SOLUTION Above. Details below if you care to read more.

YES- POP3 Connector in SBS 2008 actually works in case anyone needs that validated. (I was beginning to wonder).

YET- I have another issue with populating the POP3 Connector drop down mailbox assignment list that I need help with. To keep it simle I'll post that in another reply.

YES email names were already in the users Email Address lists.
    NO there was no mail in the badmail folder.
    NO Anti-virus wasn't the problem. I'm using the canned Live One Care trial version that came with SBS 2008.
    Verbose logging is on automatically when you execute Retrieve Now. There is no need to turn it on.
    I get only the same information in the Event Viewer that Rick Solomon got.
    See the log posted below. It's located in:
    C:\Program Files\Windows Small Business Server\Logs\pop3connector\pop3connector.log

YES - my configuration was not "standard", but was "supported" as described below.

I don't know Rick Solomon's configuration, but mine may have been slightly more complex than an out of the box configuration.

At this point I've followed Microsoft's white paper on Exchange Segregation found here:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/e.../bb936719.aspx

We have legitimate need to separate GAL's and have followed the "recommended" approach listed in that article.

I wonded if Rick Solomon did the same thing, and if that's what broke his POP3 Connector?

One other change to note, I changed my outbound SMTP port to 587. This has no effect since the inside SMTP port remains port 25.

Before I fixed my issue by adding the appropriate Authoritative Accepted Domain, If I used one of those original users that appear in the POP3 Connector drop down list, I ccould log on to OWA and send messages inside and outside the domain, and I could recieve email from inside the domain (but not outside since that uses the POP3 connector). So Exchange transport was apparently working properly to send and recieve email. But the POP3 Connector appeared to not be working.

It was truly an SMTP issue due to lack of an Authoritative Accepted Domain entry.

The event log before the fix shows that an SMTP error occurred.

Here is a log excerpt (personally identifyable info masked):

=======================================================
    Log opening: 03:30:09 : 02/09/09

-- Pop3Connector --
    Options: 0x6031
    Beginning "Retrieve Now"...
    (AsyncConn[ pop.comcast.net:110 ]) Connecting to 'pop.comcast.net' on port 110.
    (AsyncConn[ pop.comcast.net:110 ]) GetHostByName result: srv_name = "pop.comcast.net" srv_addr = 76.96.30.119:110
    (POP3) [RX] +OK POP3 ready
    (POP3) [TX] USER kxxx@comcast.net
    (POP3) [RX] +OK
    (POP3) [TX] PASS ************************
    (POP3) [RX] +OK server ready
    (POP3) [TX] STAT
    (POP3) [RX] +OK 1 1558
    Check for new messages: 1 (1.52 KB) total.
    (AsyncConn[ localhost:25 ]) Connecting to 'localhost' on port 25.
    (AsyncConn[ localhost:25 ]) GetHostByName result: srv_name = "localhost" srv_addr = [::1]:25
    (AsyncConn[ localhost:25 ]) err: WSAGETSELECTEVENT = 0x10, WSAGETSELECTERROR = 10061
    (AsyncConn[ localhost:25 ]) Connection to 'localhost' closed.
    (SMTP) [RX] 220 MyServer.mydomain.local Microsoft ESMTP MAIL Service ready at Mon, 9 Feb 2009 03:30:13 +0000
    (SMTP) [TX] EHLO MyServer
    (SMTP) [RX] 250-MyServer.mydomain.local Hello [127.0.0.1]
    (SMTP) [RX] 250-SIZE 10485760
    (SMTP) [RX] 250-PIPELINING
    (SMTP) [RX] 250-DSN
    (SMTP) [RX] 250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
    (SMTP) [RX] 250-AUTH LOGIN
    (SMTP) [RX] 250-8BITMIME
    (SMTP) [RX] 250-BINARYMIME
    (SMTP) [RX] 250 CHUNKING
    (POP3) [TX] LIST
    (POP3) [RX] +OK 1 messages
    (POP3) [RX] 1 1558
    (POP3) [RX] .
    Downloading message 1 of 1.
    (POP3) [TX] RETR 1
    (POP3) [RX] +OK message follows
    Sending message 1 to the SMTP recipient Kxxx@UhOh-NOT-accepteddomain.com...
    (SMTP) [TX] MAIL FROM: <Kxxx@UhOh-NOT-accepteddomain.com> RET=FULL
    (SMTP) [RX] 250 2.1.0 Sender OK
    (SMTP) [TX] RCPT TO: <Kxxx@UhOh-NOT-accepteddomain.com> NOTIFY=FAILURE
    (SMTP) [RX] 550 5.7.1 Unable to relay
    Failure hrResult (0x800ccc69) trying to deliver message id 1:
    SMTPRESPONSE: * * * !Failed! * * *
    * * * 0x800ccc69 * * *
    Command: [SMTP_RCPT]
    Completed: Yes.
    IxpResult:
    ---> ---> ---> hrResult: 0x800ccc69
    pszResponse: 550 5.7.1 Unable to relay
    uiServerError: 550
    dwSocketError: 0
    pwszProblem: <none>
    EVENT: An error occurred while delivering mail to 'Kxxx@UhOh-NOT-accepteddomain.com' on the SMTP server 'localhost'. The error code was 0x800ccc69. Verify that the mailbox exists and that the Exchange receive connectors are configured properly.
    (POP3) [TX] QUIT
    19: (POP3) [RX] +OK sz0097.wc.mail.comcast.net closing connection
    19: (AsyncConn[ pop.comcast.net:110 ]) Connection to 'pop.comcast.net' closed.
    19: "Retrieve Now" finished.
    [t 1] 02/09/09, 03:30:24: Received STOP command.
    24: Leaving _ServiceMain (0).

Log closing: 03:30:24 : 02/09/09

AFTER ADDING THE Authoritative ACCEPTED DOMAIN

Here's the log:

Log opening: 15:43 : 02/09/09

-- Pop3Connector --
    Options: 0x6031

Beginning "Retrieve Now"...
    (AsyncConn[ mail.comcast.net:110 ]) Connecting to 'mail.comcast.net' on port 110.
    (POP3) [RX] +OK POP3 ready
    (POP3) [TX] USER kxxx@comcast.net
    (POP3) [RX] +OK
    (POP3) [TX] PASS ************************
    (POP3) [RX] +OK server ready
    (POP3) [TX] STAT
    (POP3) [RX] +OK 1 1548
    Check for new messages: 1 (1.51 KB) total.
    (AsyncConn[ localhost:25 ]) Connecting to 'localhost' on port 25.
    (AsyncConn[ localhost:25 ]) GetHostByName result: srv_name = "localhost" srv_addr = [::1]:25
    (AsyncConn[ localhost:25 ]) err: WSAGETSELECTEVENT = 0x10, WSAGETSELECTERROR = 10061
    (SMTP) [RX] 220 MyServer.mydomain.local Microsoft ESMTP MAIL Service ready at Mon, 9 Feb 2009 15:57 +0000
    (SMTP) [TX] EHLO MyServer
    (SMTP) [RX] 250-MyServer.mydomain.local Hello [127.0.0.1]
    (SMTP) [RX] 250-SIZE 10485760
    (SMTP) [RX] 250-PIPELINING
    (SMTP) [RX] 250-DSN
    (SMTP) [RX] 250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
    (SMTP) [RX] 250-AUTH LOGIN
    (SMTP) [RX] 250-8BITMIME
    (SMTP) [RX] 250-BINARYMIME
    (SMTP) [RX] 250 CHUNKING
    (POP3) [TX] LIST
    (POP3) [RX] +OK 1 messages
    (POP3) [RX] 1 1548
    (POP3) [RX] .
    Downloading message 1 of 1.
    (POP3) [TX] RETR 1
    (POP3) [RX] +OK message follows
    Sending message 1 to the SMTP recipient kxxx@myaccepteddomain.com...
    (SMTP) [TX] MAIL FROM: <kxxx@myaccepteddomain.com> RET=FULL
    (SMTP) [RX] 250 2.1.0 Sender OK
    (SMTP) [TX] RCPT TO: <kxxx@myaccepteddomain.com> NOTIFY=FAILURE
    (SMTP) [RX] 250 2.1.5 Recipient OK
    (SMTP) [TX] DATA
    (SMTP) [RX] 354 Start mail input; end with <CRLF>.<CRLF>
    (SMTP) [TX]
    (SMTP) [RX] 250 2.6.0 <5AC833E2FC541240B2376316F710B7BA596B@kkcsb.KKC.local> Queued mail for delivery
    (SMTP) [TX] QUIT
    Deleting message 1 of 1.
    (POP3) [TX] DELE 1
    (SMTP) [RX] 221 2.0.0 Service closing transmission channel
    (POP3) [RX] +OK message 1 marked for deletion
    (POP3) [TX] QUIT
    (POP3) [RX] +OK deleted 1 message(s)
    (AsyncConn[ mail.comcast.net:110 ]) Connection to 'mail.comcast.net' closed.
    "Retrieve Now" finished.

The SBS 2008 POP3 Connector drop down list appears to only show exchange enabled recipients that were created using the Windows SBS Console.

This seems to be the only place to assign POP3 Connect Mailboxes to deliver to an Exchange user.

None of my other Exchange Mail Enabled users or groups appear in this the drop down list in the Windows SBS Console POP3 Connector properties.

Does anybody know a way to populate the POP3 Connector Mailbox list except by using the Windows SBS Console to add new users?

Is there some group membership or attribute that I could add to Exchange mail users that were created in other OU's with their own GAL using Exhange Management Shell?

Is there no other way to populate this list of assignable Exchange Mailbox users? (Registry, Attribute Editor, Group Membership?)

Is there a way to assign a POP3 Connector to an Exchange mail user or group besides using the Windows SBS Console to add new users?

In my segregated Exchange environment - SBS 2008 POP3 Connector is practically useless without some way of adding mailboxes to it's drop down list that were not created using Windows SBS Console.

Why? Because I can't assign the POP3 Connection to any useful exchange users! The standard SBS users are all but completely not used in my scenario!

See http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/e.../bb936719.aspx

Does somebody have a work around besides using a 3rd part POP3 Connector?

Lastly - Gasp - getting desperate - Can anyone recommend their favorite 3rd Party POP3 Connector that will work with SBS 2008 / Exchange 2007?

Thanks.

Moving right along here..

To add users or groups to the Windows SBS Console views and other lists:

Please see post:

http://blogs.technet.com/sbs/archive...s-console.aspx

*** Solution
    "If you do not use the SBS provided ways to add new users they will not show in the SBS Console > Users and Groups > Users tab, because the user’s Active Directory (AD) attribute msSBSCreationState value is not “stamped” to Created."
    *** Solution

I tried both the Change User Role method (using Add permissions instead of Replace permissions) and simply changing the msSBSCreationState attribute on the user.

The Add User Role also changed group memberships and possibly other attributes (i haven't compared yet)

Both ways populated the user lists and the POP3 Connector Drop down list.

Both users can now recieve POP3 Connector email.

Finally, I can deliver email to useful Exchange Enabled email boxes using POP3 Connector.

My problem is like one of the parts of this thread

I can send email from my SBS, but cannot recieve any. I did have it working but lost the capability on a re-install for another issue. Access through my domain to RDC, OWA all work fine.

I saw in the thread the suggestion to go through setting up the domain wizard again and looking under an advanced tab for some kind of prefix to my domain.

Unfortuneately before I got to try that I accidently hit the "connect to the internet" button. That wizard found my external dhcp device (that I cannot change - comcast). It correctly found it and tells me to shut it down and use SBS

Now I can't start the manage domain name wizard since it tells me that I must run the connect to internet wizard first!

Result is that I can't try the suggestion of looking for a prefix to see if that is the reason I cannot recieve email to my domain

Thanks!!

Thanks,,, I will move my query to a fresh post.

Re: SBS POP3 Connector Problem

I had the exact same error under the same said situation and conditions, just one user.

1. Restarted the server.
    2. Discovered that the Microsoft anti-spam service was not running - Started it.
    3. Accessed the user's external email account and deleted all those emails that I knew were not important, hoping that one of the emails had a header that was blocking the fetch.
    4. Retrieved ... WORKED!