Thread: Blackberry support on SBS 2008

Blackberry support on SBS 2008

Hello,

Can someone tell me my options for supporting Blackberry on SBS 2008? I just recently set up SBS 2008 with Exchange and Remote Web Workplace. My users require the ability to also sync their calendars, contacts and to-do lists through their blackberries. As always, thanks for your help.

Re: Blackberry support on SBS 2008

To work for the same first you will BES. I am doubtful about installing the same on SBS 2008. I am not able to find any reference on the same on web and hope there will be some solution available. You must install the same on Exchange server and then go ahead with configuring the same on SBS. Blackberry Pro license is available for free and you can get that for the handheld devices. Compared to Blackberry this process is more simpler on Windows devices. There is no need to add any additional software.

Yes you can install BES on SBS and it will work. You can find the download on Blackberry website with reference article. There is ample of information available on the same which will guide you to work on the process. I had configured the same before on Windows Server 2008 and it works well. There is no problem with the settings. There is a link below that can provide you more information on the server. You can buy that and configure the same. I am sure it will work fine.

BES

I am trying the same on two different client but it looks that it is not working well. I had lost the access to Exchange. The outlook was working fine before but while configuring BES new problem appeared. I am also not able to manage outlook connection. It is complicated if you land on such kind of bugs and not able to find any solution. I hope there are proper settings available. The symptoms are really weird.

It is always better to test something before installing any new stuff on SBS. Because it affects the entire service. There are two ways by which you can work. First you can simply create a test workstation and configure BES on it and see what all new errors you are facing. Second using HyperV. It is one of the best alternative to test various stuff and then apply the same finally on server. So that your current settings are not at all modified.

I am working on the same and on a single client only I was able to configure BB to sync with OWA. I ha did this long time before and it was working well. It is necessary that you must have proper credential for the same. Or else the login details many not work fine. While Blackberry support forums gives you more guideline on various errors that many people has already face. You can visit the site and collect information.

What is the issue with running BES on an exchange server?

Does the same hold true for BPS as well?

So if BPS or BES is installed on a separate server, do I need another routeable ip address for the server BPS/BES is installed on?

Right or wrong, I have several clients with the BPS installed on the one 2k3 SBS that they have. I have had zero issues on any of the environments.

I had Small Business Server 2008 setup with a self signed cert. Everything
    was working, 3 Blackberry Internet Service (BIS) users connecting and working fine. The client wanted a public cert so we bought the cert and replaced the self signed cert with the public cert. Now none of the BIS users can connect. The 2 ActiveSync users are not having any issues before or after.

The URL is https://remote.domain.com/owa but when put in IE the browser
    changes it to https://remote.domain.com/owa/auth/l...main.com%2fowa

I put the connection info for each user into BIS manually but it says it
    cannot connect. Perhaps the BIS interface is having an issue with the URL
    above? Nothing in this document helps either:
    http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/viewC...8&sliceId=1#12

HELP!

Blackberry Professional Server (BPS) does not support (and will not even install on) Windows 2008, SBS or otherwise. I have spoken with both RIM support and sales types about it and there are no plans to support it. In fact, it is likely that this product is to be discontinued in the near future. It must be installed on a Windows 2003 server or Windows XP machine or VM. BPS is designed for a small number of devices, and to be run on the same machine as Exchange.

BES 5.0 does support 2008, but according to RIM it should never be installed on the same server as Exchange.

In other words, with SBS2008, BPS should be installed on the same server as Exchange, but can't, and BES, which could be installed on the same server, shouldn't be.

I have put in 2 different solutions for this, as BES is generally way too costly to justify for most of my clients.

1) SBS2008 on one server, and a second machine running either VMWare Server (free) or Hyper-V, hosting a 2003R2 VM running BPS.

2) A 2008 server running Hyper-V with 2 VMs - one SBS2008 and one 2003R2 running BPS. You could use ESXi for this too.

Both of these are working well for me. Frankly, BPS can be installed on anything you can find. I run it on XP at many of my clients and it works fine.

Sorry for my ignorance but I have a couple questions to get this all straight in my head:

I'm trying to install BPS somewhere on a SBS 2008 domain with all networked client PC's running Windows7. Exchange is obviously running on the server. You mention that BPS should be installed on the server hosting Exchange. Does this mean that when you install BPS on a WinxP box that you also make that box host Exchange?

If this is true, does this mean you un-installed Exchange from the SBS2008 box ?