Thread: SBS 2008 deployed printers to XP clients

SBS 2008 deployed printers to XP clients

I did a migration from SBS 2003 to SBS 2008 and most things are going well after the migration except printing. The customer has 3 new Lan printers, which are Canon, Xerox and a HP and the drivers are available for all for the server. The compatible 32 bit drivers were available for the Canon and Xerox. I have checked the detailed instructions to install the 32bit drivers and to deploy these printers using Group Policy, but it simply is not working. I am getting no printers installed on my XP clients, members of the domain migrated over from 2003? Can anyone tell me how to fix this issue? thanks.

Re: SBS 2008 deployed printers to XP clients

I think that you are using Group Policy Preferences to deploy the printers to your XP machines? If so, then did you install the Group Policy Prefernces Client side extensions on your XP boxes?

http://msmvps.com/blogs/cgross/archi...xtensions.aspx

Thanks for responding, I have read your blog and went back to the server to check. The update in question has been installed successfully on all computers in the network. The Vista machines are working fine, but the XP machines are not getting the printer drivers installed. What other things can you suggest me? Thanks.

Do you get any other errors logged in the event logs in Application and System on the XP machines?

I think that in the SBS 2008 domain, printers are not deployed properly on the Windows XP clients.

In the SBS 2008 domain, printers are not deployed properly on the Windows
    XP clients. If you want to get the detailed Group Policy Preference Printer policy log, you might enable the preference process logging and tracing on one of the problematic Windows XP client to get the detail log for troubleshooting. So, to enable the printer policy processing logging and tracing:

1. First of all you can create a new GPO such as "Printer Policy Processing logging and tracing" on the SBS 2008 server.
    2. After that you can enable the Printer Policy Processing logging and tracing in the GPO.
      Computer Configuration\Policies\Administrative Templates\System\Group Policy\Logging and tracing\ Printer Policy Processing
      And then user Trace location:
      %COMMONAPPDATA%\GroupPolicy\Preferences\Trace\User.log (All Users\Application Data\GroupPolicy\Preferences\Trace\User.log)
    3. Now you can run "gpupdate /force" on one of the problematic Windows XP client and re-login to reproduce the error.
    4. After that check the log to find out the reason why the printer is not deployed properly on the client. You also can send me the tracing log for further investigation.

One of the ways you can deploy printers is a utility called pushprinters.exe. But there's a problem where the 32bit version isn't on the box. You can read more about the same from here - http://msmvps.com/blogs/bradley/arch.../new-ways.aspx