Thread: Sbs 2008 backup

Sbs 2008 backup

I have recently installed a new fresh SBS 2008. I have few questions regarding the backups.

How can we use the built-in SBS Console backup to a NAS?
    What alternate decent backup solutions are available for SBS 2008?

Re: Sbs 2008 backup

As far as I know NAS is not a compatible backup destination. Better you can try SAN or any other internal drive. Just remember that backup needs to see a _block device_, not a packet device. Hope it will help you. Talking about myself I use the native SBS backup on my Windows Home Server. When I use to be Off site I use USB removable drives.

Even I agree with the same. USB Drive backup for SBS2008 is the best choice. Once I restored my Full server in just 20 minutes using the same.
    • Insert SBS2008 DVD
    • Selected restore
    • Selected Backup Set
    • Clicked Option to Format destination Drive.
    • 20mins.

I'm starting with server environments and just finished installing my first sbs 2008. I tried a full restore as you mentionned Russ... and was surprise that it didn't offer me the exact last backup I made: it propose me the first one i did manually (full backup) but didn't let me take a following one (is it because there are incremental?)

If I'm right, is it really the best way to backup a 2008 server or if I just configure it to always do full backups a better solution?

Coming back to the topic, I read that it was possible to make backups on NAS with the Wbadmin command lines... am I wrong ?

Well, as I said, I have much to learn because I just started using Windows Server environments.

Here is the scenario : made a first manual backup at 9AM. I configured backups to be made at 1AM. So it did one at 1AM (i checked). Now the next day, I screwed everything up. I launch the installation of SBS2008, launch the restore... but i could only select the one made early in the morning, but the one made the day before at 9AM. I would like to know why ?

Another example: I used the Wizard "Backup Once", and at the end of the backup, it says that over 800MB were transfered on my external hard drive. That's why i thought that there incremental (and I'm sure I read this somewhere, but now I can't find it). How do you explain that only 800MB were transferred ?

I am maybe missing the point, but I know that the following command is possible :

wbadmin start backup -TargetNetworkShare

So?

We are using Acronis Backup & Recovery 10 for SBS (reasonable price - disk image and disaster recovery) and it works great with a NAS.

Forgot to mention that we use the GFS auto script and put a full Saturday night on an additional 1.5TB NAS for weekly offsite storage.

Have you tried a bare-metal (or "bare-vm") restore using Fabulatech's USB-over-network?

In order to do a restore, you have to boot off the SBS 2008 DVD - easy enough. Then you do a "Repair" and browse to the backup on the network. How do you achieve that? Simply "sharing" the USB drive on the target machine doesn't do it, as you need permission to browse the drive, which isn't readily available.

I had to fiddle around a lot with ownership and permissions. didn't work out too well for me. Eventually i got the VM to see the share/re-permissioned/re-ownershiped USB drive, but it wasn't pretty.

Also, it only restored the C: drive, not the D: drive.

I was trying to restore a physical server backup to a VM (ESXi 4.0). The original server had a C and a D drive.

I'll try a restore next from my own SBS 2008 "box" which is already running in a VM, and backed up using USB-over-network.

I know this is an old thread. I may repost it somewher else too. Thanks.