Thread: SBS 2003 sp2 low disk space

I am getting a constant low disk space error on Windows SBS 2003 SP2. I am getting a error on the screen that showed me only 485 MB left. So that is a bit annoying. When I checked inside the partition there is more than 80GB left. I do not understand why it is giving me this kind of problem. Exchange is running fine and users are allowed to share some space based on small Quota.

There are some application that would help you to find out the issue behind this problem. Sometime there are tons of junk files created in the system which gives out the error. You can get rid of all those junk files by running disk cleanup. It will help you more in getting some space. Also remove the applications that you are not using and then try back. The error most be due to the OS partition only.

Re: SBS 2003 sp2 low disk space

I got the issue when I was moving some folders from Exchange Database. Also sometime a number of windows update loads the OS partition with lots of stuff which are never being used. So it is necessary that you must move any data folder or you can simply clean the software distribution folder from the OS partition. It will make your job much more easier. You can also move the exchange database and log from the actual partition to other so that more space can be arranged.

This are just temporary fix. If still there is enough space, it looks that SBS is not able to identify the same. Run Disk cleanup and then see. Wiping out logs are fine but it can remove some information that can be used to troubleshoot a number of problem in the server. There are some disk analyzer tool that has more information based on the amount of space occupied with different data files.

I think the problem lies with backup files. You must remove those which are not required. I had got the problem because each time the backup process regenerate the file instead of overwriting the existing. So that makes the problem of low disk space and we are not able to find out the same. This is not a bug just a generate notification related to low disk space. You can ignore the same if you want and move ahead with your work. Check your recycle bin also. Empty it completely and then then check again.

All above info is very useful and may help with various scenario's however in my case roaming profile was the culprit. I had my profiles folder on the root of C: and it grew overnight. I later found out by using the application mentioned above (treesize pro, which you can download trial version for free - a great tool) to give me an idea of which folders are consuming such a large disk space.