Thread: Adding new email address to exchange address book

Adding new email address to exchange address book

There is a company who have take over our existing firm. And due to this I need to add some about 50 new email accounts/address of the company in the public address book.

So I wanted to if it is possible? If yes, please tell me how?

Re: Adding new email address to exchange address book

Yes, you can do it from "Active Directory Users and Computers" but instead doing this, I would like you to better create a new organizational unit for the new. Once done, create one new contact for each user in the other company and you are done. Note that no contacts will be accessible to users until next day because it takes lot of time to rebuilt the Address book.

There is also an alternate way if you don’t want to wait until next day. Just open Exchange System Manager > Recipients > Offline Address Lists > right click Default offline address list > select "Rebuild". That’s it.Despite the warning message rebuilding the address list seems to be quite quick. Now open outlook and pull down the new address book by going to Tools > Send/Receive > Download Address Book .

Hope it helps.

Thank you very much for the help Diggs, appreciated. I think that is very slow process and will consume entire day for creating 50 email accounts. One more thing I wanted to confirm here and that is will it affect the licensing in any way?

Well can you tell me this all 50 users are going to loggin in to your SBS server in order to send and receive emails? If yes, than obviously your licensing will get affected. Make sure you have enough CALs to cover the increased numbers.

Nope shivinder, they are not going to log in on the server. I’m just creating these users because it will be nice for the internal users to have a list of the new emails of the new company on the server instead of going to each pc in the company and import the new branch contacts

OK, then the best option is to follow the steps provided by Diggs. It is not going to take more than a hour or two.