Thread: Backup Fails With Volume Shadow Copy Error??

Backup Fails With Volume Shadow Copy Error??

From last couple of days I am constantly getting backup errors on my system. It keeps on failing which was configured to work properly before. The error is related to SBS 01.bkf. I had configured the backup in such a way that it overwrites the old files and add news one. There is a timeout problem also. The error number is 0xffffffff and ffffffff. I am not able to find out any storage media that can help me to fix the same. I am trying to hook a external hdd to the system but somehow it is not working. The Updates are still failing. I drive is a NTFS file system and I think SBS backup procedure supports that. Should I format that to FAT.

Try to configure the backup again from backup wizard and I am sure it will help you. You will need to go in Schedule Events and there you can find out the existing options. You can remove the events all which are giving you errors. Just run the backup wizard once again and then check back. Create all the settings from scratch and check again. It will help you.

Yes just reconfigure the updates. That will help you a lot in fixing the problem. It is a easier way to start the backup again. But if you are trying to find out why backup failed you can go in event log. It can help but not to much extent. You can just find out the exact error code and on that basis you can search on web for more information. It would be easier. I do not think file system is the cause of failure. Some windows update might have affected the system stability.

Did you tried to configure the backup process by restarting your system. You can check the settings. It is easy to find in schedule task. That is the reason I do not rely on default backup services. You can use some third party programs that you can find on the web and it offers a more easy way of fixing the problem. It is necessary that you can keep the last backup copy safe somewhere, if there is any problem you can atleast restore everything.

Check the below link. It will offer you some help on fixing the problem with VSS. The Microsoft link below gives you some more reference that will help you follow up the problem. First of all problem with VSS is common and after a few while a server might work but due to some recent changes errors are generated. That can be related to file permission or some new windows update which had modified the system settings.

A Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) update package is available for Windows Server 2003