Thread: certificate for client to access owa

Voytas Guest

Certificate for client to access owa

I cannot fix the problem of certificates on Windows Server. I am trying to access OWA from client system but somehow it looks IIS is not working well. It is not able to get the needed certificates from exchange folder. I had not messed with the settings of certificate. When I checked inside the server I found that everything is fine. Then why SBS is not able to issue certificate to client system.

I will not recommend you to play with the settings of IIS. It is necessary that you must run CEICW again to find out appropriate settings. The configuration wizard will help you to reconfigure the setup and it will start working well. There is no complication in using the same. It is not at all complicated. You just need to reconfigure the connection from scratch. Also if you want you can simply find the process of configuring certificates on windows server. But it is better you go through a automated process.

I agree wizards are the way to go just be careful of this pitfall I encountered !!

Just be careful running the wizard if you have customized your Echange setup. I ran this the other afternoon in trying to get my iPhone connected and it restored the defaul virtual smtp server even though I had created my own to route all outgoing mail to my isp's mail server as a security measure. Even though the one I created was still in there, all mail was down for the remainder of the afternoon until I figured out I needed to delete the default (I imaging when there are two it doesn't know which to use or perhaps defaults to the default).

P.S. this happens even if you leave the box to not make any changes checked at each stage as the reason I had run the wizard was to create a new certificate.

Also an easy way to get the cert is to access RWW if you are using it and right click on the lock icon just after the address bar in your browser and go to details and export.

Here is a link that can help you more in dealing with the problem that you are facing. Even if you try to reconfigure the connection settings and it does not work then working from scratch is best way. The second link below gives you more information on working with issuing certificate. There is more detailed information available on the same which works quiet properly.

HOW TO: Secure an ASP.NET Application Using Client-Side Certificates
    Installing a Self-Signed Certificate as a Trusted Root CA in Windows Vista