Thread: Vista: issues with sbs client setup.exe

Vista: issues with sbs client setup.exe

Hi everyone

We have Windows Server 2003 R2 on our server PC.
    We had 10 Win Xp Pro machines but I replaced one machine with new Dell Optiplex Vista Business. That was pre configured with Win Xp with an option to upgrade to Vista. So I did upgrade to Vista business. While installation I gave the same name of Vista machine as the name it was on my old Win XP manchine, so in this sense the name was already on Server 2003 console.

I can see My computer name in Windows Server management console as it was the same name. But whenever I log in I get Compatibility issue Assistant coming up stating Vista has known compatibility issue with Server 2003. It is giving me two option either to run program

Description
    Microsoft Windows Small Business Server has a known compatibility issue with this version of Windows and might not run as expected. For more information, contact Microsoft.
    It is trying to run cleint setup program from server/cleint apps but failing to do so and everytime i log in showing this message.

See attached jpg for more details.

When i check the event log it is showing me following error in administrative tasks
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    System

- Provider

[ Name] Microsoft-Windows-WMI
    [ Guid] {1edeee53-0afe-4609-b846-d8c0b2075b1f}
    [ EventSourceName] WinMgmt

- EventID 24

[ Qualifiers] 49152

Version 0

Level 2

Task 0

Opcode 0

Keywords 0x80000000000000

- TimeCreated

[ SystemTime] 2008-08-19T18:20:11.000Z

EventRecordID 4180

Correlation

- Execution

[ ProcessID] 0
    [ ThreadID] 0

Channel Application

Computer lowe.chandlergeorges.local

Security

- EventData

BRCMGroup
    SELECT * FROM __InstanceCreationEvent where TargetInstance ISA "BRCM_ActsAsSpare"
    BRCM_ActsAsSpare
    //./root/CIMV2
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

When i go to controlpanel/system maintenance and check for error logs it is showing me this server 2003 problem:

Problem signature
    Problem Event Name: ApphelpSoftBlock
    Problem Signature 01: {11111111-1111-1111-1111-111111111111}
    Problem Signature 02: {01047220-e59c-4af6-a122-1a66749f4fc8}
    OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.6
    Locale ID: 2057

Extra information about the problem
    Bucket ID: 51904954
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now tell me are all these related to one issue?

I need help on this big time!!!!

Somebody help!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails windows_startup_error-jpg  

RE: Vista: issues with sbs client setup.exe

Hello loveuppal. You need to apply RipCurl Updates to your SBS. Just checkout this URL and pick up the proper update for your server: http://blogs.technet.com/b/sbs/archi...available.aspx

KB930955 is not working

Thanks for this quick reply. I have already downloaded KB930955 patch but when I click on it it says the version does not apply to this system.

However I haven't installed any of the patches required on the server as I think this should have been installed by Microsoft Update service on the server once it knows that a Vista client is being added to the nod.

What should I do?

RE: Vista: issues with sbs client setup.exe

There could be two reasons for the issue mentioned above. First, if Domain joining process was not successful and second if required compatibility update is not applied. For the second reason, you can download the required compatibility update from here http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...4-e0c8c169fac3.

And for the first one follow these steps:
    • Go to Client Computers from your SBS 2003 management console
    • Find this Windows Vista computer and click "Remove computer from Network"
    • Just ensure that the computer is disappears from the Client computer list.
    • Re-run the Setup Computer Wizard to create a new Windows Vista computer.
    • On the Windows Vista computer, go to the Properties of Computer and Computer Name tab, click Change to disjoin the computer to a Workgroup;
    • Restart the Windows Vista computer and run SBS Network Configuration Wizard by using http://servername/connectcomputer to join the Windows Vista computer to SBS 2003 network domain.

Thank you Robbin Meng

I have actually spoken to Dell Business support team and they are also recommending this update. I have formatted my Vista machine and was able to join the Domain with a different name altogether. But the same login error message appears. I don't have any functionality issues with this but we are in the process of upgrading our whole system to Vista machines however are not able to upgrade to Server 2008. My peers think that this might cause interruptions in configurations we are on (mail server etc).

Our so called "IT person" (not sure of his skills now) states that Windows Server 2003 is automatically updated and doesn't require this patch, and thinks its something to do with Dell Machine, which I totally disagree. I have checked the updates Server has installed and have a snapshot of them. I couldn't see an update which says KB926505. As I'm not a technical person I will not be able to perform Step 1 & Step 2 as suggested by you.

I'm sending you files, together with JPGs I've saved of Server 2003 Add Remove programes just now.

Thank you