Thread: Certificate error accessing "Outlook Web Access" on SBS 2003

Certificate error accessing "Outlook Web Access" on SBS 2003

I am getting some kind of error message that states "There is a problem with this website's security certificate" if I am trying to access the Microsoft Small Business Server 2003 exchange server OWA web page via the address "https://domainname/exchange". This issue seems to only happen if I am using Internet Explorer 7. Although I am able to "Continue to this website" I can look at email etc but cannot send them. How to change the server so that we can access OWA from anywhere? Thanks for any information.

Re: Certificate error accessing "Outlook Web Access" on SBS 2003

There might be 2 problems, first, the certificate name needs to exactly match the URL that you type. Incase you are using a self-signed certificate, and then run the CEICW again and at the certificate stage, enter the name that you use to reach the server from outside. Incase you also use the OWA from inside the network then you will have to configure the SBS DNS server to allow this same URL to be used. Some routers will allow the external name to reach the server without this being done, most wont. The other problem is that if the certificate has been self-signed by the SBS, then a web browser running on a non-domain computer will not see it as being trusted. The fix will be to install the certificate in the browser.

RE: Certificate error accessing "Outlook Web Access" on SBS 2003

You can continue to use the Enable trusted publisher lockdown Group Policy setting, but you must first add the appropriate certificates to your Trusted Publishers certificate store. To do this, turn off the Enable trusted publisher lockdown Group Policy setting, install the appropriate certificates in your Trusted Publishers certificate store, and then turn the Enable trusted publisher lockdown Group Policy setting back on. More information from here - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822798