Thread: Recover from Disk corruption - need NTOSKRNL.exe

Recover from Disk corruption - need NTOSKRNL.exe

I am using Windows SBS 2003. It is working fine but after a reboot there was a problem with boot. There is a error on the screen about NTOSKRNL.exe. There were some updates that were installed and the error started appearing after that. When I try to start I am getting error that windows fails to start due to missing or corrupt ntoskrnl.exe. I the last backup that I had done was a week ago and I am not having latest data. So I cannot go with clean format.

You will need to boot in recovery mode. Then only you can restore the server through cd that would be easier way. In recovery console it is possible to restore ntoskrnl.exe file. But the process it bit longer. There is a repair method available that will allow restore the missing and system files. There are also different options available through which you can simply get your data backup. You can use a live cd for the same. But first try to go with a repair setup and then see. I hope it will work.

The problem can be due to power failure due to which windows is not able to find ntoskrnl.exe. I think as mentioned above repair is the only way that will work. You have to boot from recovery mode and then simply you can run the setup and it will be working fine. Just boot from the installation disc and choose repair. In that you can find cmd. In that you will need to enter recovery and then type dire. Run startrep.exe and then you can find a list of repair systems.