Thread: XP SP3 installed via WSUS does not show as installed

XP SP3 installed via WSUS does not show as installed

I had approved Windows XP SP3 service yesterday on my system. It was well downloaded and also installed. There were no error related to new updates. Now in another machine I had downloaded SP3 but it is not installed. The machine says that this update is not needed. While in the Server the updates was needed. I had performed update check, it does now show anything. I am confused then why SP3 was downloaded. Should I do the setup manually.

I had seen a number of time WSUS does not at all report all updates properly. I do not know why, but service does not look enough efficient to work properly. Is there a another way by which I can check whether SP3 is installed in my system. I had approved SP3 here, but why did it is not installed. I had reported a complaint for this to WSUS team and waiting for some valid solution here. While in a client system it started working on its own. The SP3 updates was download and not installed last night. This morning when I turn the system on it shows that the update is installed. Looks like this update has some dependencies.

My system is behaving a bit differently. I had allowed all updates to install in my system. And they are configured on its own. The updates are setup to install and then shutdown the system. Now the status about update is not refreshing on its own. It is not at all changing back. At some point some related updates showed that they are installed properly. While some machines took the same through manual update which worked. The automated process works in some machine while some simply respond to the manual process.

In my system the status of SP3 is reported as that it is not a applicable update. The update was Windows XP Service Pack 3 (KB936929). After some time I got a message that the update was installed and you need to restart your system. The same update is deployed on more number of systems, but they do not show up a valid answer. I have around 15 systems which are causing this issue.

Same problem here

My entire office has more than 100 systems. They are in a group and I had set the target to install SP3. Among them only a few computers around 10 to 12 were able to get the fresh updates while other shows no update on it. The updates status shows not applicable. Should I ignore the same. I had reported the same, but no solution received yet.

Is there anything more you found. Anything related to a specific error or issue. I had installed the same update on around 30 systems which has Windows XP Pro edition. I had did that with various methods. At some I had installed that through manual setup, some throw Windows Setup. All of them worked. The automatic way of updates is quiet a waste of time and you cannot rely on the same for detailed support.

I want help to deploy the same on 20 machine in my office. How can I do that. Is there a working process that can help me to work in more better way. Thanks.

At my place I am having Windows XP Pro systems. I had configured some test systems where I can deploy SP3 update. For some systems I have to download a patch to make the update applicable. It was done by my IT admin so I am not really having a extact information on the same. Some test systems are on Vmware. Where the updates worked quiet well without any issue. To some extent working on a larger network is more doubtful. While you can manage the updates on small number of systems manually.

HI All,
    I still have this same problem. PCs that install SP3 report SP3 as not required rather than installed.
    Has anyone been able to resolve this?
    Thanks

Nothing new

At this point I think that is a desing decision. SP3 is not considered as a patch that is either installed or not, but as a general OS upgrade. So you now have "Windows XP SP3" clients for which the Service Pack is "Not Applicable" as opposed to "WIndows XP SP2" clients for which the Service Pack is a needed update.

Issue found

Quote Originally Posted by ebranham View Post
    I am in the beginning phases of testing the sp3 update for XP pro machines. Does anyone have any experiece between this patch and software such as Lotus notes, BAAN, Vertex (tax), Mapper, hyperion, oracle, etc. I will update my posts as I do some VM testing with these apps; but if any of you have some data already it would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I have been looking into ways to do several large pushes out to the network, but it doesn't seem like there has been much sucess. Does anyone know if Microshaft is doing something about this?
    During testing, we found that sp3 breaks the connection between Vertex "lookup & TDM" and the database. I contacted Vertex, they know of the problem and suggest a roll-back of sp3 until such time as they can resolve the issue.

Hi gibilix,
    Thanks for your reply. I just wish Microsoft were even consistant. I went back to my wsus console and had another look. Both XP SP2 and SP3 behaving this way. That is zero installed. But I also had a look at SP1 and SP2 for Windows server 2003. Both of these show plenty of Installed machines.

I'd rather see an install count than zero but they can't even make up their mind which way it is going to be!

Thanks