Thread: WSUS 3 sp1 install to non-default web site

WSUS 3 sp1 install to non-default web site

Hi:

I've had WSUS 3 running on a non-default web site (different IP) for awhile. When I tried to install sp1 there is an error:

Windows Sharepoint is install and using port 80 (which it is on the default website, not on the WSUS) Please re-run setup and specify different port.

How do I point the update at the correct site?

Thanks

Re: WSUS 3 sp1 install to non-default web site

WSUS Setup sees the Sharepoint on the Default Web Site, and thus expects to see the "WSUS Administration" virtual server configured on port 8530.

In addition, the "WSUS Administration" and Default Web Site must be configured on the same IP Address. If that's not what you have, your installation is already broken.

To get the upgrade to work, reset the "WSUS Administration" website to the IP Address of the server and port 8530. Run the upgrade. Then you can reset the IPAddress and/or port back to whatever you wish to have.

Note: This does not eliminate the requirement that the "WSUS Administration" website is on the same IP Address as the Default Web Site.

WSUS 3.0 works fine now on a "non-default" web site (uses a different IP than the default website). On the non-default site it does use port 80 and 8530, but again this is not the default site on IIS.

When I installed 3.0 (upgrade from 2.0), I found instructions to work around the fact that the installer always wants to install to the default site on IIS, which I cannot do since I have multiple sites on the server.

Now I need to get the SP1 to install to the non-default site (which doesn't have Sharepoint services), but it will only look at the default site and nevers sees the other sites.

Any ideas?

Okay.. I stand corrected... it doesn't have to be the "Default Web Site" specifically...

but there does have to be a 'website' answering the phone on port 80 =and= on port 8530.

You seem to have accomplished that with your configuration.

The "instructions to work around".... are going to be exactly the same. I haven't a clue what instructions you're talking about, however.

Hello,

I have a similar issue and am keen to understand how you solved the problem you had. I have a single server (running w2k3) which has happily been running WSS 3 with SQL for some time. I am now keen to add WSUS 3 and ultimately forefront (I know this is pushing it for a single server) but i have come up against a wall of issues with WSUS.
    It has all installed ok, but i have errors in the event log where self update is not working. This from what i can understand is due to WSS being on the same machine and using the default website in IIS. I have found an article which points to a solution, but as yet i havent managed to make this work either. If i add another IP address to the NIC and add the DNS then assign the new IP address to the WSUS site in IIS the WSUS site becomes uncontactable via the snap-in. So from what i can tell i have made a mistake some where or what i am trying is fundermentally flawed.
    Any advise of help would be most welcome.

With regards

Will

Will, the key to co-existence with WSS and WSUS is twofold:
    [a] WSUS must be installed in the alternate virtual server ("WSUS Administration"/port 8530) (as I recall, the WSUS installer will refuse to install on the DWS of a WSS server)
    [b] You must properly configure WSS to "not manage" WSUS resources in the Default Web Site (the /selfupdate directory and the two files in the root folder /iuident.cab and /wutrack.bin).

Adding additional IP Addresses or host headers just confuses the issue and isn't needed.

With WSS on the Default Web Site, and WSUS on port 8530, and WSUS resources unmanaged in WSS, all will coexist perfectly.

Lawrence, thanks for your reply.
    Unfortunately i am still stuck!

I should note that i am using WSS 3 (services, not server) as i am not sure if this makes any difference to how to solve this issue.
    During the install i selected WSUS to use an existing database server on this computer, but the only option is <default>, which i presume is correct as there is no other option. It then tells me that there is sharepoint installed so it cannot use the DWS, which is good, and that the clients need to use :8530to get the updates. This all seems good so far (to me anyway!)
    So, i think my only main issue is how to configure WSS not to manage WSUS resources in the default website. How do you do this?
    Do i also need to set the DWS or any of the other sites to go to a specific IP address or just leave it as unassigned?
    I have also read in numerous places that you need to change the permissions to anonymous under authentication methods for the different sites, is this true, WSUS is currently enabled for anonymous access.

Any help will be most appreciated.

With regards

Will

So, i think my only main issue is how to configure WSS not to manage WSUS resources in the default website. How do you do this?
    I don't have a direct reference for WSS3 (I'd need to dig thru my WSS3 admin book), but here's an article I wrote to address the same issue with WSS2 and WSUS.

The concepts are the same; the menu options may be slightly different on WSS3.

How do I make WSUS work on my Sharepoint server?

Do i also need to set the DWS or any of the other sites to go to a specific IP address or just leave it as unassigned?
    Just leave it unassigned.

I have also read in numerous places that you need to change the permissions to anonymous under authentication methods for the different sites, is this true, WSUS is currently enabled for anonymous access.
    This is not generally true. The WSUS installer handles all permissions configurations on a fresh installation.

Thanks for your reply. I came across this before but couldnt see how to make it work as when you go to define managed paths you do not get the option to 'exclude path' only wildcard inclusion or explicit inclusion!
    I have looked throught the WSS admin site and looked on the web to see how to do this but havent as yet found a way.

With regards

Will