Thread: Error message event ID 16

Error message event ID 16

I am getting an error message in the event viewer and the event id is 16 and the source is Windows Update Agent. The description is given below:

Unable to Connect: Windows is unable to connect to the automatic updates service and therefore cannot download and install updates according to the set schedule. Windows will continue to try to establish a connection.

Can anybody help? Thanks.

Re: Error message event ID 16

The error you are getting is caused because the Automatic Updates Service is not running at all, or it is logged on with an incorrect account.

Thanks for the information, I checked that the update service status is showing started. I have also restarted the WSUS server and checked if they are still having the error message. Thanks.

Only on the WSUS server, the Update Service runs and that service is the /server/ side of a WSUS environment. The "Automatic Updates" service runs on all systems and that service is the /client/ side of a WSUS environment. The Event ID 16 error is a /client/ error that is caused by the "Automatic Updates" service and has nothing to do with the status of the "Update Service" on the WSUS server.

I have checked that on all systems the Automatic Updates service is running but even after that I am getting error message on all my systems. Any other suggestions? Thanks.

The error that you are getting might be caused by one of the following conditions:
    1. The proxy server settings are incorrect.
    2. Proxy authentication problems have occurred.
    3. The connection between the client computer and the proxy server is broken.

More information can be found here - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...=ws.10%29.aspx