Thread: Error connecting to the Windows Server Update Service

Error connecting to the Windows Server Update Service

I need some help to deal with WSUS error that I am facing on Windows 2000 SP4 server. After following each and every step properly listed, I receive a error message while configuring WSUS. The error was related to some connection with WSUS Update service database. It is keeps on giving the connection error. I had checked in even log but that is empty nor there is any application listed which is causing this. I am not able to find how to find the issue with that. How can I check the service and sql database. Both are on the same work station. The only thing that I had installed recently was msde and a patch.

What error are you getting. Can you list that properly in details. I am asking about a complete error. Basically this kind of error appear when you try to open the admin page. There is a instance name for the database which is mostly listed in the error. There is a WSUS deployment guide on the web that you can read and identify the issue. Check Event Viewer one more time.

I am too having the same issue, I need some help to locate that instance name which you are talking about. How to find that in MSDE database. If you are using that system then click on SQL icon in the task bar. Do you see anything connected their. Run SQL Server Service Manager. If still there is nothing listed connected then try to reconnect a number of time and note down the complete error.

In my system the service is running. But still the connection failed. I had checked the machinename also it looks proper. I had manually replaced that with the action system name and then it worked. You have to see the registry entry for the same. The value is listed in the same -- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Update Services\Server\Setup, check to see if the value of "SqlServerName" key is %computername%\WSUS. Try to re-install the database that would fix the same.

I am too having the same issue. I had removed and installed it back again but that did not worked out. Try to check the ports settings. That would help you out. I too suspect the registry value for the machine name. I found that the SUSusername key is empty. Does that can provide any highlight on the issue.

There a common problem in my system which still exist. My system has a new Windows Server 2003 SP1 setup. So expect to get no error as everything is new here. Later on I had installed IIS component. I ave a readme guide which shows details to install WSUS properly. This was mentioned in the requirement. The installation of WSUS was simple and in the end there was message that setup was complicated successfully. Now when I entered the web interface I got a error saying that Service Unavailable. The restart did not worked here. I checked in WMSDE to find the running service it shows that it is not connected. The registry settings did not helped much here. Evenlog shows that that the WSUSPool is unexpectedly errors. Another message that was listed was The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application. What does this thing means. I had worked with installation a number of time but it did not worked out. Is there is something blocking it.

WSUS Problem

Dear All

I have faced the same problem with WSUS , and i have figured a way to solve this problem

a)My Environment :
    Windows 2003 sp1

b) Steps :
    1-I have installed a SQL server 2000 must be SQL Authentication
    2-Stop the Services MSSQL$WSUS and MSSQL$WSUS <as we will use the
    New SQL server Services>
    3-Attache the SUSDB.mdf to the installed SQL server , you will find it in
    this path driver:\MSSQL$WSUS\Data\SUSDB.mdf
    4-Give the ASPNET user administartion privilage and DBowner for SUSDB
    5-Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\UpdateServices\Server
    \Setup
    6-Edit Values "SqlUserName" to be "SqlUserName"="ASPNET"