Thread: WUServer Registry Change Will Not Hold

WUServer Registry Change Will Not Hold

I've setup a new 3.0 WSUS server, and have been successful at adding the high majority of servers and workstations.

But I do have a small number of systems that will not report in. Further searching has shown me in the registry that the WUServer (WUA) setting in the registry and the UseWUServer (0) were incorrect.

I can edit and change them to the correct values as the servers that are reporting, but when I try and force a checkin, they revert back to the original settings! I only have one GPO for all machines (I need to remedy that...inherited setup), so I'm not sure where it could be getting it from.

Any ideas?

Re: WUServer Registry Change Will Not Hold

I think that you can enable\disable the slow link detection option in: Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System > Group Policy > Group Policy Slow Link Detection. Or follow the below steps that are given:

net stop wuauserv

delete the registry key

gpupdate /force

delete c: windows softwaredistribution
    check local machine policy for updateserver settings.

net start wuauserv

wuauclt /detecnot

wuauclt /reportnow

now there shouldn´t be the ip set anymore

Tried as you suggested... but it's still pulling the WUA as the config...

Did you try to run the correct diagnostic step for this scenario by following the below steps:

1. Run GPEDIT.MSC and confirm that Local Policy is not configured, and if it is - then troubleshoot why your GPO is not being applied. GPO(s), if properly applied, will always override Local Policy.
    2. Run RSOP and analyze the GPO(s) that are being applied to the client, and inspect each of those GPOs to find out which one has errant WSUS configurations present.

Getting closer. This is a mixed DC environment, (2000/2003), and there seems to be an issue with the 2000DC. So I've forced one of the machines I am trying to fix to auth to DC03, but now the WUServer comes up blank and the UseWUServer resets to 0, even though it is working properly on other machines authenticating to the same DC....

The search continues. Thanks to all for your suggestions.

If you haven't configured a WUServer value for the WSUS Server, but the registry value "UseWUServer"=dword:0x1 (enabled), then you've effectively broken the Windows Update Agent on the WSUS Server and it will get no updates from anywhere. Such a configuration would most likely be manifested in the %windir%\WindowsUpdate.log as a 0x80072ee5 "Invalid URL", or an 0x80072ee6 "Unrecognized scheme", or possibly an 0x80072efd "Cannot Connect", depending on whether the WUServer value is present and what the actual value contains.