Thread: WSUS Client not receiving updates from WSUS server

WSUS Client not receiving updates from WSUS server

I need help to deal with WSUS update issue. I am having two system that are configured to receive Windows Update. The system are on virtual pc. The first one has Windows Server 8 with WSUS and other one has same OS but it is the actual one which we are using for pushing updates. The first one is the new system we had configured recently. Both stopped sending updates on client systems. I had tried to send them forcefully by gpupdate /force but nothing worked out. Updates are not working here.

Re: WSUS Client not receiving updates from WSUS server

Check the settings and permission to clients. If you are behind proxy then manage your proxy settings also. Try net stop wuauserv and then net start wuauserv. Hit enter and see whether the issue is resolved or not.

I am too facing the same issue with WSUS clients. I am not able to get all the updates which are approved in the server and assigned to a group. No updates are received by the clients at all. I am here trying to configuring the same through a group policy settings, but the updates are still not working. There were around 50 updates looks pending the log. How to apply them.

Quote Originally Posted by Lou Bowman View Post
    I am having a problem with my WSUS clients. They are checking in and all updates have been approved in each group. However, the clients will not pull the updates off of the server. We are using group policy to have the clients check in, and all updates are being pulled in. I have 36 updates that need to be applied but can't get the workstations to pull the updates. Help please!
    Is your WSUS-server running on a port different than port 80 ? One of my friends was running on port 8530, which happens after upgrading from WSUS. In the client settings he set the server to http://<servername>:8530/, and then everything worked fine. Hopefully it will also work for you as well, if not then let us know.

James 911,

The problem I have is that this is a government computer and we are using port 443 for our downloads. The updates are coming in but I can't get them to push out to the clients. I get the following error "The files for this update have not yet been downloaded. The update can be approved but will not be available to computers until the download is complete." How long does it take to download files? Thanks and have a great day.

Quote Originally Posted by Lou Bowman View Post
    James 911,

The problem I have is that this is a government computer and we are using port 443 for our downloads. The updates are coming in but I can't get them to push out to the clients. I get the following error "The files for this update have not yet been downloaded. The update can be approved but will not be available to computers until the download is complete." How long does it take to download files? Thanks and have a great day.
    I think that this is not a Configuration Manager specific issue, but a possible WSUS issue with downloading update files. WSUS synchronizes the metadata for the updates but doesn't download the update files until you approve them. You can see whether they have been approved by looking at the Approval column in the WSUS console when in the updates view. So, first you need to approve any updates that you want to download and send to clients. Then you can check the download status for those updates using the steps above.

My WSUS clients reports fine to the WSUS server. The server is able to figure out which updates they requires, and to most of them, pushes the updates to the clients, except for a clients. they report the packages as "not installed" and they won't download the packages they need. it has been this way for a week. Why is that? All workstations reports to the server.

attached is an example of the issue.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wsus-issue-jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Pegasuseg519 View Post
    My WSUS clients reports fine to the WSUS server. The server is able to figure out which updates they requires, and to most of them, pushes the updates to the clients, except for a clients. they report the packages as "not installed" and they won't download the packages they need. it has been this way for a week. Why is that? All workstations reports to the server.

attached is an example of the issue.
    It seems to me that WSUS thinks the Windows Internal Database is still installed. Use this KB for instructions on how to remove WID, and then try the WSUS Install again.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/920277

Alternatively, but really a last resort, you can flip the bit on YukonInstalled in the registry key
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Update Services\Server\Setup]

It seems to me that WSUS thinks the Windows Internal Database is still installed. Use this KB for instructions on how to remove WID, and then try the WSUS Install again.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/920277

Alternatively, but really a last resort, you can flip the bit on YukonInstalled in the registry key
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Update Services\Server\Setup]

Somehow, I think I confused you. I am not trying to uninstal/reinstall WSUS. I am just wondering why some of my workstations just won't download the updates it says they need. When new updates are being approved upon release from Micro... they are being downloaded and installed. why not the others? Is it another initiative to make us move toward another product such as SMS or SCCM, which they are as crappy as WSUS? Or am I just missing something obvious?
    Last edited by Pegasuseg519; 17-02-2012 at 01:34 AM.

I would add this:

My logs shows me only one thing; the file cannot be downloaded. Why? Connectivity is fine, configuration is fine, and when I launch the update manually, it seems to try to download something from the MS update server, which they can't because the workstations doesn't have internet access, from which my decision to use WSUS the first place. I have not decline any packages, so they should be all available on the WSUS server. I just don't know why some workstations doesn't download some updates, which other workstations installed the same failing updates just fine. There must be a solution other than to pull the workstation from the production floor and connect it to internet and run the windows update site.
    Last edited by Pegasuseg519; 17-02-2012 at 01:47 AM.

Pegasuseg519,

Can you try to apply Computer Configuration\Policies\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Update settings
    on Default Domain Control Policy. In general, you should not modify the Default Domain Policy nor the Default Domain Controller Policy. You should create NEW Group Policy Objects and link those where they are needed.

Quote Originally Posted by super cop View Post
    Pegasuseg519,

Can you try to apply Computer Configuration\Policies\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Update settings
    on Default Domain Control Policy. In general, you should not modify the Default Domain Policy nor the Default Domain Controller Policy. You should create NEW Group Policy Objects and link those where they are needed.
    Indeed, I created a new GPO. no results. so I deleted it and came back to my original configuration. Still no change. So I broke WSUS on purpose, went into the registry and deleted every key I could. That's how frustrated I am with this. Then yesterday evening, I wiped my 2003 server and re-installed WSUS, just like i did the 1st time. Pow, dead on- everything is fine again. now every workstations updated, including the packages that was failing. Go figure. Something broke itself, and I won't ever know what. I love Microsoft!!!!! The day they will come up with something that works, the chickens will have teeth.
    Last edited by Pegasuseg519; 18-02-2012 at 01:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by james_911 View Post
    Is your WSUS-server running on a port different than port 80 ? One of my friends was running on port 8530, which happens after upgrading from WSUS. In the client settings he set the server to http://<servername>:8530/, and then everything worked fine. Hopefully it will also work for you as well, if not then let us know.
    For me its not working. I'm not in a domain environment Im in a workgroup and configured the customed port using 8530 and when I try to open the intranet site which is http://servername:8530, it will only display the iuident.cab , web.config , WUTRACK.BIN and when I double click the web.config it will display "404 - File or directory not found" and in my WSUS server I was able to open the "Update Services" console and able to see other client in "unassigned computers" and when I try approving patches to the clients it show succesfull but on the client side it doesnt appear any patches installed in the client side. Please advise...

Glenn