Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WSUS 3.0 SP1 KB948014 shows needed even though roll is not install

WSUS 3.0 SP1 KB948014 shows needed even though roll is not install

There is a prompt on Windows 2008 Server about KB948018 WSUS 3.0 SP1 update. But none of our servers has WSUS roll installed in them. I am not able to understand how the update is listed. After checking for Updates I can see that the system shows all updates are installed. I remember we had installed all needed updates and there were no issue in installing them. Then why does this KB948018 update requirement is needed still.

I am too having the same issue. WSUS prompt for KB948018 requirement. While the update shows nothing. Is there is some bug with the update service. I had contacted Microsoft for the same. I am awaiting for the reply on it. While searching on other forums I found that the issue is related to wrong kb number or update. The update might not exist. Check the below information on KB948018 update. You can manually download and run it. Some suggestions that I had seen is about the broken packages. The error mostly appear when the package is found be incomplete and needs to fix.

Description of the Windows Server Update Services 3.0 Service Pack 1 package

The KB number is correct. There is no issue with the same. I had performed a WSUS check and the similar installation was approved a week before. I do not understand the reason behind installation. Why servers are not able to detect and download that update. While the manual updates shows things are fine. Hope this not a security threat at all. When I looked for more detail I found 4 packages for the update. None of them are on my server. I am still trying with wuauclt /detectnow if it can find any new updates and install it on other systems also.

It looks Windows Servers are facing some kind of issue in accessing the update location because of which we are getting that prompt. Some of my servers are configured on hyperV. Updates are quiet not affected by the same. I think it does not matter how you install Windows Server, it remains regardless of hardware.

Re: WSUS 3.0 SP1 KB948014 shows needed even though roll is not install

My problem appeared after Windows 2008 installation. After when setup was fine I had gone with Windows update to run WSUS 3.0 SP1. It prompts me that it require KB948014. I had approved the installation but the issue is not resolved. I have one more server where the update is installed. The issue looks to be related to some downstream server where WSUS is running the clients are also installed.

I am new to Windows 2008 Server x64 bit OS. There is a bug report in WSUS saying that it needs WSUS 3.0 SP1 update. I had checked all the rolls related to that. After running the wuauclt /detectnow, it did not find any thing related to SP1. To fix the issue I had removed WSUS console first. Then run wuauclt /resetauthorization /detectnow and got the same report that SP1 needed. I am hoping that the manual update can fix the issue to some extent.

With similar error on my server even I am trying to find the way to fix it. I am willing to add a patch KB940510 but it is not working. I had tried to provide the information to Microsoft via server reporting service, but yet there is no response. The only solution that I received was to apply a patch and it is useless.

If the patch is reported on your system then it is needed. But this looks more like a bug to me. The server still prompts for SP1 upgraded while automatic updates says everything is all right. The fact is also reported through reporting service in my server. A little bit of workout allowed me to add some conclusion here. We can try to create a target of WSUS server and then approve the update for a specific sub group inside the master. Or simply place the server in the group where the update is approved. The updates showed me approved but the status says that it is not installed.

Isn't there a working solution here. It is not a major issue, but still it creates doubt in my mind. I am happy to find that many of us are facing the same issue. Hope we can receive updates as early as we can.

At my office I am facing this issue in 64bit machines. The WSUS report says that the machine requires updates. I need a bit more highlight on those group server stuff. I think there will be some workaround available for the same.

I had asked this question a number of time on different forums. I found the below link, which gives a bit answers to the issues. It is a big article which provides information on the server update process. I had found this link from WSUS forums which really worked in some of my systems. The challenge here is to find out why this update is only reported. There are none others which are in the list. The reason is WSUS is not installed on those system on which this issue is reported.

Installing WSUS 3.0 SP1 through Window Server 2008 SP1 Server Manager

The update is needed that is the reason you are getting that message. The issue is that the update is not able to install in your system which shows it pending in the list. Check all your client system. All of them must be updated. Usually there are two packages which comes under KB948014, The first one is WSUS 3.0 SP1 service pack and the second one is WSUS 3.0 SP1 dynamic install. The second package is only application if KB940518 is installed in your system.

Re: WSUS 3.0 SP1 KB948014 shows needed even though roll is not ins

My issue is the same. My updates are not working. They cannot be installed. I had check the status which shows up that the system needs update. I tried to run the automated and even approved some, but that did not also worked. So to ensure what all is needed I made a note of all updates detected by using wuauclt /detectnow. I think the problem can be resolved by performing a manual update. There can be more updates which are relying on each other for proper configuration.

Re: WSUS 3.0 SP1 KB948014 shows needed even though roll is not ins

If the update is visible then there are chances to download them. You can go in Server Manager to Add roles and then find option to install the same via Windows Server Update Services. After adding KB940518 or SP2, the server roles are visible. Or else you cannot locate them easily. The problem here is to manage the standard update package based on dynamic installer. They are different ways by which dynamic installer works. Like one work through download and setup and other one just via a update.

Lawrence Garvin [MVP] Guest
    I am lot more confused here. I am not able to understand the issue behind it. The update KB940518 only allows you to add WSUS to the list of roles in Server Manager. Now what about the other one which is pending to update.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast