Thread: No little yellow notification shield icon appears in system tray on client computer for approved Windows updates

No little yellow notification shield icon appears in system tray on client computer for approved Windows updates

I am having Windows Servr 2003 and also running WSUS 3.1 with one test XP service pack 2 workstation. I have approved 2 patches for it for XP SP3 and windows installed 3.1. I am able to see the approvals clearly in the WSUS console and that the XP workstation needs 2 patches according to the console. But even after restarting the XP workstation many times, the little yellow notification shield icon is not appearing, even though I have the WSUS Group Policy set to "Notify for download and Notify for install". There is also everything pass and nothing failed in Client Diagnostics Tool as reported. Can anyone please suggest what to do next.

Re: No little yellow notification shield icon appears in system tray on client computer for approved Windows updates

Can you try to go to Start and then Run and then press CMD and then type wuauclt /detectnow and press enter and see what happens?

Re: No little yellow notification shield icon appears in system tray on client computer for approved Windows updates

There are only 2 patches are showing up as needed. I thought there were lot more patches needed on a system than just SP3 and Windows Installer 3.1. Can anyone tell me what is the current SP level of the computer?

Re: No little yellow notification shield icon appears in system trayon client computer for approved Windows updates

Did you check whether you are logged into the test workstation as a member of the Administrators group? If that isnt the issue, then you can try to post the last fifty lines from WindowsUpdate.log on the test workstation.

Try: Start > Run > CMD[ENTER] > wuauclt /detectnow (2 or 5 times).
    - I tried just wuauclt , in the command prompt and the switch /detectnow, wasn't doing anything for me... TRY THAT is you get stuck .