Thread: TAG-DP200 Multimedia Desktop Speakers

TAG-DP200 Multimedia Desktop Speakers

PC Speakers add more audio to your multimedia usage. If you want to watch a movie or listen to music then an average desktop speaker is quite helpful. In laptop, speaker volume is very low. This is because of the speaker size which is designed to fit inside a portable design and works on less power. For more audio level you need to buy a separate speaker. There is huge range of cheap desktop speakers in the market. At a minimum amount of Rs.500 you can still get one. What matters here is to check the audio quality and design. If we take budget into consideration then TAG-DP200 is not a bad choice. Almost all budget speakers come with standard features. They will not give you high bass, but the sound quality is clean and clear. For getting good bass output you have to pay a bit more and go for 2.1 audio set. This comes with sub-woofer which takes care about the enhancement. In regular desktop speaker I only look for audio volume and clarity. That’s all. On audio enhancement like bass boost or theater surround sound settings; this speaker gives you an average output. But when it comes to volume TAG-DP200 is good in that.

It is an usb powered headphone. This does not means it will work through usb. A separate 3.5mm audio jack is provided on it. The usb only offers it power. There are two ports and you have to connect both on your system. This occupies the ports. It is also not good to use the speakers on usb hub. The audio will be low. I tested the speakers both on pc and mobile phone. The only limitation is that you have to keep the speakers connected to your pc usb port. If you remove, it will not work. And it does not have any separate power source. Many desktop speakers come either with single usb port or with single 3.5mm audio jack. But this one comes with both and only one works. USB ports are just added to provide power. It gives loud audio on pc, but on mobile phone the sound level is limited. The speaker has a big size dual audio driver which produces good quality sound. I am not satisfied with the bass quality here. That can be ignored. Because most of the budget desktop speakers do not have this feature. The cost of this speaker is Rs.1050 which is printed on the box while Flipkart is selling the same model for Rs.750. The speaker is placed under TAG Gaming Speaker series on it. This is weird. I found TAG-DP200 like an average desktop speaker good for multimedia but not for gaming.

TAG-DP200 Multimedia Desktop Speakers

Features:
    • USB Powered Speakers
    • True 4 Speaker Cones
    • Digital Stereo Amplifier
    • Volume control
    • Circular Acoustic Casing Design
    • Dynamic Sound

Re: TAG-DP200 Multimedia Desktop Speakers

TAG-DP200 is a set of two multimedia desktop speakers with right and left channel output. It has True 4 Speaker cones which produce a loud sound, but bass output is not so impressive. If you are ready to sacrifice that, then TAG-DP200 is a good desktop speaker choice. It brings clear audio on your desktop. The two speakers are interconnected with each other. It has two usb 2.0 ports which act as the power source for both. On the box it is mentioned that this speaker also works on usb ports. But I am not able to find that. I tried using it only on usb but it failed. But when I connected the 3.5mm audio jack it started working. It has an oval ship design and the 4 speaker cones are visible. You can touch them. If you press hard you can break it easily. This is a flaw here. Many speakers are covered where the internal cones are not visible. But in TAG-DP200 it is visible. You have to keep it away from kids.

TAG-DP200 Design

TAG-DP200 Connectivity Ports

When both speakers are connected it is complicated to move them around. You have to take care while lifting them up. At the backside of right speaker a tiny volume control wheel is provided. It is placed at the extreme bottom which is not easy to access. The wire is also very small. If you keep your cpu case below then you have to place the speaker with it. The wire will not allow you to keep it on the desk. But if you have laptop then you can use it anywhere. Loud audio is only possible when you connect both usb ports. If you are using it on one then sound remains limited.

TAG-DP200 Cable Length

TAG-DP200 Volume Wheel

When I first saw TAG-DP200 I found the design very impressive. It has a complete black look with blue circle in the center that covers the speaker cone. There are no buttons on the body. It turns on automatically when you connect it to your pc through usb. The only controller it has is a power control wheel on the backside. The wires are non-removable. It is a bit complicated to manage this speaker if your desktop is already occupied with other stuff. The top and backside has a glossy black finish. It has a very impressive design and from no angle this speaker looks cheap. It comes in three colors. They are Red, Blue and Yellow.

TAG-DP200 4 Cone Design

Talking about the audio quality I did not found anything special. All I can say that you will get a loud volume. It looks like this speaker does not have any audio processor. It relies on the onboard sound chip or it has a weak audio controller. Maximum audio produces disturbed noise. This kind of speakers is ideal for office usage. You can listen to presentations; audio which does not has music but only conversation, etc. In that it can deliver good sound quality. For movies you can sit back far from your pc and enjoy the sound. The speaker produces a good amount of sound that reflects well in the entire living room.

TAG-DP200 Speakers

Conclusion:

TAG-DP200 is a good budget speaker. It has a high volume but in terms of bass output it is not effective. You can listen to music and watch movies on it. But sound enhancement does not work here. Also for gaming you can expect an average output from the same. If you are looking for a straight-forward speaker, that can only give you clean and loud audio then TAG-DP200 is a good choice. At a cost of Rs.850 (Flipkart, Official Price: Rs.1050) this speaker is not bad at all. But the two usb ports occupy the system connectors. If you don’t have any spare port left, then using it is complicated. I tried testing them on usb hub, they produce a good sound on it also, but when you connect them directly to your pc ports it will give more sound. There is no issue in using them on usb hub.

Pros:
    • Loud Sound Output
    • USB Powered
    • Great Design
    • Budget Speakers

Cons:
    • Poor Bass
    • No USB Sound Output